WorldFish workshop: Towards resilient and equitable small-scale fisheries
03.09.19 > 05.09.19
WorldFish Headquarters, Malaysia
In collaboration with the Oak Foundation, WorldFish will be organizing ‘Towards resilient and equitable smallscale fisheries’ event on 3–5 September 2019 in Penang, Malaysia.
The event is supported by a collaboration between the Oak Foundation and WorldFish through the CGIAR Research Program on Fish-Agri Food Systems (FISH) and will be attended by 60 representatives from SSF research, civil society, intergovernmental agency and non-government organizations
As part of this, WorldFish is leading an initiative to ensure the policy commitments and investments made to support small-scale fisheries (SSF) are leveraged towards environmental management, food and nutrition security, poverty alleviation, equitable and good governance.
The initiative seeks to give greater visibility to, and better coordination of, the efforts of multiple actors working towards these outcomes, with the ultimate view to:
- Increase capacity to coordinate and build collective action among multiple actors to maximize progress towards common goals;
- Deliver strategic communication leading to greater recognition in policy and investment decisions for the contributions of SSF;
- Improve collaborative capacity to understand the impacts of investments and institutional innovations towards more resilient SSF.
At the event, panel and plenary discussions are designed around three key areas:
- Building responsive and inclusive coalitions for impact;
- Delivering a strategic and responsible approach to communication;
- Developing an overarching and complementary framework to evaluate and understand the impact of SSF initiatives.
During the three days, drafted strategies and tools will be presented. The objective is to refine these tools for the stakeholders present, and through these discussions also build a broader coalition or bilateral collaborations to better enable resilient SSF and inclusive ocean, water and landscape governance.