Small is Bountiful: Small-scale fisheries as a nexus of SDGs to ensure a future we want
Join the Small is bountiful series of webinars this week from 1-5 June 2020 and mark your calendars for the webinar on “Small-scale fisheries as a nexus of SDGs to ensure a future we want” on Wednesday, 3 June 2020, from 20:00 – 21:30 (UTC+8). Click here to convert to your timezone.
This live webinar will be moderated by WorldFish’s Resilient Small-scale Fisheries Program Leader, Pip Cohen, with the participation of Nereus Program fellow Gerald Singh, small-scale fisheries social scientist Paul Onyago and other small-scale fisheries experts.
Please note that to attend this event, you will need to:
- First, click subscribe to Too Big To Ignore (TBTI)’s YouTube channel.
- When the time comes 20:00 (UTC+8), tune in to attend this live event in the link here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TooBigToIgnore
Context of the event:
This webinar takes us across seas and sectors, illustrating that globally, SSF exemplify the focus of the SDG aim to “leave no one behind”. Experts will each speak on the key opportunities to work with SSF to progress multiple SDGs amidst three imminent transformations; food system transformation, Blue Economy and climate change. The speakers will also provide compelling arguments on known risks that sustainable and equitable development will face if the rights, values and flexibility of SSF are eroded. First we will hear about how SSF rights and livelihoods are instrumental in achieving other SDGs, but also how SSF sustainability is dependent on other SDGs being achieved. Second, we will examine the role, risks and opportunities for small holders (fisheries and agriculture) in addressing SDG2 on food and nutrition security. Third we will examine SDG5 on gender equality within SSF, and a presentation on SDG 13 with respect to SSF preparedness for climate change.
- To bring to the fore the instrumental role of small-holders, such as small-scale fishers, as a foundation of achieving the SDGs
- To critically examine the opportunities and risks surrounding the SDG aim “leaving no one behind”.
- To present the nexus that SSF present between sectors and SDGs
For more information, visit the event page here: https://bit.ly/35W8eAX
We look forward to your participation!