Feeding Africa: Leadership to Scale up Successful Innovations
A Food Systems Summit Dialogue
29.04.21 > 30.04.21
12:00 pm > 05:00 pm
Watch the livestream here, 12:00–17:00 CEST on Thursday, April 29 and Friday, April 30
CGIAR will participate in the panel on Innovative Institutional and Financing Approaches, on Friday, April 30 at 13:30–15:00 CEST. More details below.
About the event
The African Development Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), in partnership with the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) and the CGIAR System Organization, will co-host a high-level dialogue: Feeding Africa: leadership to scale up successful innovations. Forum participants will identify ways to expand activities, financing and partnerships that promote Africa’s agricultural transformation through technology and innovation.
The event will bring together African heads of state, senior government officials, heads of multilateral development banks, development partners, regional organizations, research institutions, business leaders, private sector operators, investment agencies, academia, civil society organizations and experts from across Africa and beyond.
The event will:
- Secure political commitments at the highest level of leadership to replicate success across the continent;
- Showcase impactful stories to secure resources and replicate in priority commodities across the continent;
- Demonstrate what is working in regional agricultural research for development, and what needs to be done to sustain investments;
- Arrive at a shared vision for mobilizing investments to produce technology and innovation that transform African food systems.
CGIAR at Feeding Africa
- Kundhavi Kadiresan, CGIAR Managing Director, Global Engagement and Innovation, will speak as a panelist.
- Kanayo Nwanze, CGIAR Special Representative to the UN Food Systems Summit (UNFSS), will moderate the panel.
|13:30–13:35||Welcome and introduction||Moderator:
CGIAR Representative to the UNFSS
|13:35–14:00||Session 1: Partnerships for enhancing the impact of agricultural research and development organizations
An introduction to the institutional changes taking place at CGIAR and at regional agricultural research and development organizations in Africa
Chair of the Board of Directors, Forum for Agricultural Research in AfricaKundhavi Kadiresan
Managing Director, Global Engagement and Innovation, CGIAR
|14:00–14:55||Session 2: Innovative models for financing agricultural research and development in Africa
A discussion on the need to fine-tune or replace financing models for research and innovation in Africa
Dr Ruben Echeverria
Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)Shadrack Moephuli
CEO, Agricultural Research Council of South Africa
For the agenda and list of speakers for the full 2-day event, please click here.
Valerie Poire, CGIAR System Organization