Characteristics and performance of co-management in Asia
A virtual webinar exploring innovative solutions to boost the productivity and resilience of small-scale fisheries across the Asian region.
Date: Thursday, 8 April 2021
Time: 15:00-17:00 (UTC+8)
In this virtual discussion hosted by FAO and Asia-Pacific Fishery Commission (APFIC), multi-disciplinary experts will come together to discuss innovative approaches to co-managing small-scale fisheries (SSF) sectors across low- and middle-income countries in Asia.
The panel will draw on the findings from a joint FAO-WorldFish publication on “Characteristics and performance of co-management in Asia.”
WorldFish’s Research Program Leader for Small-scale Fisheries, Dr Phillipa Cohen, and Honorary Fellow, Dr John Kurien, will join the expert panel providing insight on the importance of scaling up research, investment and partnership opportunities with other SSF powerhouses in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and the Philippines for equitable and inclusive outcomes.
- Susana Siar, FAO/APFIC Secretariat
Invited speakers and their presentations:
- Dr Philippa Cohen, Research Program Leader for Small-scale Fisheries, WorldFish
- Highlight of the FAO-WorldFish publication, Characteristics and performance of fisheries co-management in Asia
- Kaing Khim, Deputy Director General of the Fisheries Administration (FiA), Cambodia
- The performance of small-scale fisheries co-management in Cambodia
- Sebastian Mathew, Executive Trustee, International Collective in Support of Fishworkers
- Perspective from civil society organization
- Dr John Kurien, Founding Member of the International Collective in Support of Fishworkers, Visiting Professor at the Azim Premji University in Bengaluru, India and Honorary Fellow at WorldFish, Penang, Malaysia
- Reflections on fisheries co-management
- Lena Westlund, FAO
- Ideas for way forward
- Caka Awal, Coordinator for Multilateral Affairs of the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia (Counsellor), Rome, Italy
- Intervention on International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture 2022
We look forward to your active participation.