CGIAR @ AGRF 2022
Grow, Nourish, Reward — Bold Actions for Resilient Food Systems
05.09.22 > 09.09.22
12:00 am > 12:00 am
The Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF), Africa’s premier forum for driving the food and agriculture agenda in the continent, will host its 12th annual summit under the theme “Grow, Nourish, Reward — Bold Actions for Resilient Food Systems” from September 5–9, 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
Together with the Government of Rwanda and the AGRF Partner’s Group, the AGRF 2022 Summit will provide a platform to reflect on the coordinated large-scale action by leaders, institutions, investors, coalitions, and individuals to accelerate action towards translating commitments made into actionable strategies and progress on the ground.
The summit will convene leaders from governments, businesses, civil society, international organizations alongside innovators, financiers, experts, scientists, entrepreneurs, and youth. To journey along as they define game-changing solutions towards a food-secure Africa and food systems that deliver for people, planet, and prosperity.
The summit aims to deliver the following outcomes:
- Climate Action – our people, our planet: The AGRF 2022 summit will provide a platform to elevate the coordinated African voice on climate action for COP27 in Egypt by outlining the challenges and identifying country-led solutions and pathways.
- Nutrition and Diets: Healthy diets demand a systems approach that acknowledges the central role and responsibility of food systems across the world, working together across other key systems to provide better diets for all, while also sustaining the planet for future generations. The challenge of nutrition is dependent upon finding the right formula to deliver nutritious food in an affordable and environmentally sustainable way.
- Innovations in Food Systems: The pressure on our food systems will require innovation in technology, science and policies tailored to address the needs of countries at a contextual level. These innovations need to be economical, socially sustainable, and environmentally sustainable.
- Markets and livelihoods: This theme will explore: (1) The community-driven solutions and innovative policies that are dismantling these inequalities; (2) The shifts required at the policy and community level toward a food system that is equitable, inclusive, and sustainable; (3) The immediate actions needed to accelerate and foster inclusive growth and explore how we can create systems, mechanisms, and processes to ensure prosperity is more equitable across the board.
CGIAR’s participation at AGRF 2022
CGIAR has a long history of engagement with AGRF. It is a member of the AGRF Partners’ Group and is represented in the Steering Committee. CGIAR’s participation will be framed around:
- Food crisis response
- Building research capacity in Africa
- Resilience and adaptation
Monday, 5 September
Pre-summit side events
|PABRA 25th Anniversary||9:00-16:00||PABRA||Claudia Sadoff, CGIAR Executive Managing Director
Juan Lucas Restrepo, Global Director of Partnerships and Advocacy, CGIAR
Jean-Claude Rubyogo, Leader of Global Bean Programme, Alliance, and Director, PABRA
Joe Tohme, Director, Crops for Nutrition and Health. The Alliance
|AICCRA side event: Resilient growth reimagined: Game-changing programs fostering food security in West Africa||14:00-15:30||AICCRA||Juan Lucas Restrepo, Global Director of Partnerships and Advocacy, CGIAR|
|Managing soil acidity for resilient food systems on the African continent||14:00-15:30||African Union Commission (AUC)
East African Community (EAC) Secretariat
Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
|Sam Gameda, Soil Scientist, CIMMYT|
Tuesday, September 6
Advancing Food Systems Action in the Face of Crisis
|Partnering for Sustainable Productivity||11:00-13:00||AGRA||Bernard Vanlauwe, R4D Director, IITA (speaker)|
|Parallel Session: Where does the food systems science and policy agenda go from here?||11:30-13:00||MaMo and Akademiya 2063||Johan Swinnen, Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)|
|Parallel Working Session: Crises Response and What We Learned from COVID-19||11:30-13:00||Crisis Response working group||Claudia Sadoff, CGIAR Executive Managing Director|
|Parallel Session: Scaling up innovations for climate-resilient food, land, and water systems in Africa||14:30-16:30||CGIAR||Claudia Sadoff, CGIAR Executive Managing Director
Juan Lucas Restrepo, Director General, CIAT and Biodiversity International
Kwesi Atta-Krah, Director, Country Alignment and Systems Integration (CASI), IITA
Harold Roy-Macauley, Managing Director, Regions and Partnership, CGIAR and Director General, AfricaRice
Wednesday, September 7
Climate Action through and for Food Systems
|Cassava Seed System Breakfast Meeting with Nigeria’s former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo: Building resilience and creating jobs||07:30-08:50||IITA (BASICS-II) and TAAT||Alfred Dixon, Director, Development and Delivery, IITA
Lateef Sanni, Project Manager, BASICS-II
Athanase Nduwumuremyi, RTB Program Coordinator & Senior Scientist
Mercy Diebiru-Ojo, IITA Seed Specialist
|Technical session: Producing and Adding More Value in African Food Systems||0:900-11:00||AGRA||Matieyedou Konlambigue, IITA Country Representative, Rwanda (speaker)|
|First Ladies Special Event: Increasing Access to Healthy Diets in the AU Year of Nutrition||Women in Agriculture Thematic Platform||Namukolo Covic, CGIAR’s Regional Director, East and Southern Africa and ILRI Director General’s Representative in Ethiopia, President of the Africa Nutrition Society (Moderator)|
|Technical Session||11:00-13:00||Jean-Claude Rubyogo, Director, Pan-African Bean Research Alliance (PABRA)|
Thursday, September 8
Nutrition and Healthy Diets
|Building Diverse and Nutritious Food Markets in Africa||Lynn Brown, Director of Alliances and Policy, HarvestPlus (Speaker)|
|South-South Cooperation: Leadership from the Americas and Asia||11:00-13:00||ICA, AGRA and IFAD||Juan Lucas Restrepo, Global Director of Partnerships and Advocacy, CGIAR (Moderator)
Jacqueline d’Arros Hughes, Director-General, ICRISAT (speaker)
|Bringing the latest in appropriate technology to African food systems, SMEs, and farmers: Mechanization, Digital Tools, Irrigation, & Energy||11:00-13:00||Markets and Infrastructure TP||Bram Govaerts, Director General, CIMMYT|
|Leveraging Data to Improve Intra-Africa Food Trade||11:00-13:00||Regional Food Trade TP||Johan Swinnen, Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) (Speaker)|
|Value for Her||14:30-16:30||Women in Agriculture Thematic Platform||Nicoline de Haan, Platform Director, CGIAR Gender Platform (Speaker)|
Friday, September 9
Markets and Livelihoods
|Sustainable Livestock, Small Ruminants, & Poultry||09:00-10:30||Sustainable Livestock Coalition and ILRI /GASL||Jimmy Smith, Director General, ILRI or Ian Wright, Deputy Director General, ILRI
Shirley Tarawali, Chair, Global Agenda for Sustainable Livestock (Moderator)
|Closing Plenary: Stronger Together||11:30-13:00||Secretariat||Claudia Sadoff, CGIAR Executive Managing Director (Speaker)|
Stay tuned for more on CGIAR’s engagement at AGRF2022.