The CGIAR System Council consists of, among others, twenty voting members as follows:
- up to fifteen representatives of Funders, and
- five developing country representatives that are either Funders, or countries hosting a Center, or countries with significant national agricultural systems.
Every three years each of the two categories of voting members are to consult and agree upon their constituencies, which may be comprised of one or more governments or organizations. Each constituency is to agree upon its process to select its voting member and alternate and to decide upon the rules and procedures that will guide how the members of the constituency will relate to each other.
Outcomes of 2016 consultations for the inaugural System Council voting members for the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2019 are recorded in the following documents:
- July 2016 – Note on Selection Process for Members and Alternates of the CGIAR System Council
- June 2016 – Summary of West Asia and Northern Africa Regional Consultation
- May 2016 – Summary of East Asia and Pacific Regional Consultation
- May 2016 – Summary of South Asia Regional Consultation
- May 2016 – Summary of Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Consultation