Location: Penang (Malaysia-HQ)
Application Deadline: 08 April 2022
Type of contract: 3 years fixed-term contract (Possibility to renew based on performance and budget)
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills)
WorldFish is an international, non-profit research and innovation organization reducing hunger, malnutrition and poverty across Africa, Asia and the Pacific. For over 45 years, our work on sustainable aquaculture and fisheries has improved the lives of millions of women, men and youth.
Fish and other aquatic foods grown in and harvested from oceans, lakes, rivers and ponds provide income for more than 800 million people and provide 3.3 billion with 20% of their animal protein intake. Our focus on sustainability makes sure that the way we produce and use these foods today means a plentiful future of generations to come.
Our evidence-based solutions range in scale from households to global policies and spans across six interlinked themes: nutrition, gender, climate, sustainability, economy and COVID-19.
We champion aquatic foods for healthy people and planet and believe that a sustainable blue planet of well-nourished children, women and men is within our reach.
About the Position
Communications for impact are a critical element of our new strategy and seek to advance WorldFish’s global thought leadership in addressing critical sustainable development challenges (such as nutrition, climate change, gender and social inclusion, environmental sustainability, etc.) through research and innovation on aquatic food systems. Together with our strategic funding and implementing partners, we want to influence, develop, deliver and scale high-impact research and evidence-based innovations and policy recommendations that support vulnerable communities in low-and middle-income countries to meet their 2030 SDGs.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a stellar communicator with strong writing skills, excellent public relations experience and the incurable intellectual curiosity to always learn and push her/himself outside of the comfort zone. S/he is passionate about science and communications and has a knack for seizing opportunities. S/he has a proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and people across different regions and time-zones, as well different functions and disciplines. His//her results-driven work ethic and approach to constant learning and innovation sets the bar for others to deliver high-quality results time and again.
Reporting to the Interim Global Communications Lead, the Writer is responsible for creating and implementing innovative brand messaging and content strategy to build and consolidate WorldFish’s position and image as a trusted thought leader and maximize the outreach and impact of its research work and innovations. The Writer will lead, coordinate and manage efforts to raise the profile and visibility of WorldFish and OneCGIAR and its research and innovation agenda on aquatic food systems in the international development sector and beyond. This will be essential to support our efforts to raise funds, advocate for our cause and attract new partners across the public and private sectors.
The incumbent will lead the:
- Brand messaging and content strategy development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation to ensure focus, consistency and impact through key messages and branding;
- Shape the development and implementation of an integrated external and internal communications strategy to help build and curate WorldFish’s presence, messages, positioning and narrative, and launch new visibility projects;
- Lead the public and media relations of the organization and serve as one of the main media spokesperson for WorldFish;
- Develop new and innovative approaches to communication that improve engagement, increase visibility and outreach, and results, and ensure the WorldFish vision and mission is clearly and effectively communicated across various audiences and channels (online and offline).
The successful candidate will be responsible to:
- To develop an overall brand messaging and content strategy and work plan for WorldFish and deliver high quality, engaging and modern content across WorldFish communications channels and platforms (print, digital and social media) to ensure maximum impacts and visibility in positioning Worldfish and CGIAR in the global arena.
- To manage corporate communication needs and visibility of the Director General including develop and deliver on a work plan that support speaking engagements, drafting of speeches, speaking notes, slide decks and briefing notes; and drafting of high quality op-eds for medium/top-tier media.
- To develop and deliver specific brand messaging and content strategy for CGIAR Resilient Aquatic Food Systems Initiative, ensuring that team members, partners, CGIAR colleagues and key stakeholders are well informed and involved to maximize impacts.
- To co-organize virtual or in-person strategic events and outreach campaigns, including:
- securing and corresponding for spokesperson’s speaking engagements,
- leading media outreach and campaigns,
- managing event announcements, email marketing and promotion,
- organizing dry-runs and speakers’ briefings,
- evaluating impacts and metrics, and
- leading post-event follow ups and communications.
- To develop high quality, engaging and modern digital content and language to ensure WorldFish website is more accessible to a broader set of audiences in showcasing our research and innovations accomplishments.
- To develop and maintain an updated set of key messages at:
- institutional level;
- research area or theme;
- bilateral projects to ensure consistency of strategy, messaging and brand identity compliance across the organization and providing a solid framework for staff to effectively communicate with external stakeholders and maintain brand integrity across all communication products, channels and platforms.
- To lead and coordinate interactions with science and research leaders, corporate function leaders, country leaders and communication counterparts in partner organizations to support WorldFish’s external and internal communication and outreach goals.
- To serve as WorldFish media spokesperson and advise the Director General and relevant leaders in their roles as spokespersons and on media related matters including press releases, media interviews, media launches, and media outreach/campaigns.
- To monitor media for relevant resilient aquatic food systems stories and developments in key institutions (e.g. UN Security Council); to critically but constructively analyse news stories, institutional developments, articles or opinion pieces; and to draft posts that respond to these stories in a way that effectively communicates and demonstrates WorldFish thought leadership position on a timely manners.
- Editorial oversight and signing off on all external communications outputs produced by the teams within WorldFish (including annual report, executive summaries of publications, reports, news, articles, profile/theme etc.)
- To review, develop and maintain clear institutional guidance and policies to support effective planning and implementation of WorldFish brand messaging and content strategy, as well as outreach and strategic communications activities.
- To monitor, evaluate and report on the impacts and metrics of communications outputs, media and outreach, strategic campaigns and events, and to adapt communications as required to ensure messaging, products and channels are tailored and relevant to target audiences.
- Perform other official duties and special assignments, which may be requested by supervisor.
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or a related discipline.
- Professional certifications in the areas of strategic communications, digital marketing, project management, coaching and facilitation would be an additional asset.
- 3-5 years experience in communications, external affairs or marketing, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds, disciplines and cultures within a research institute, development agency, corporate or international organization, and interacting with public, private and philanthropic stakeholders.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills (native English standard).
- Excellent ability to work independently and remotely with proven ability to effectively establishing priorities and juggling multiple and competing demands.
- Established international media contacts and relations.
- Excellent ability to interpret complex and varied subject matter and convey it accurately and in an engaging manner to different audiences across traditional and digital platforms.
- Demonstrate initiative and creativity in reaching and enthusing new and existing stakeholders and working in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience developing and delivering communications plans using different media to target a wide range of audiences across traditional and digital platform.
- Ability to manage website content management systems and to create engaging digital content for use on social media platforms to a high standard.
- In-depth understanding of key issues related to the global agricultural research agenda (especially in relation to fisheries, aquaculture, blue economy and the ocean space), the 2030 Sustainable Development goals, and developing country priorities, as well as understanding of the policy, advocacy and innovation environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal integrity.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with CMS (Drupal), CRM (Salesforce), web analytics (Google Analytics), and social media management tools preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Salary & Benefits
This position open to all National and International applicants. WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, 15% employer provident fund contribution, paid leave and others.
The position will be based at WorldFish headquarters in Penang, Malaysia. Interviews are expected to be held in April/May 2022 and only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the virtual interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of three (03) years fixed-term contract, with a high probability of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be notified
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 08 April 2022:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following categories: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report. None of the referees will be contacted without your permission.
The screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.