Wheat Breeder, Associate Scientist or Scientist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position of Associate Scientist or Scientist, Wheat Breeder to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Execution of the Ethiopia-specific components of AGG, Zinc Mainstreaming, and BMZ projects.
- Work closely with Ethiopian Research Institutes on all aspects of wheat improvement, in particular with Kulumsa on Bread wheat and Debre Zeit on durum wheat.
- A focal point for CIMMYT germplasm and agronomic activities in the BMZ project to expand irrigated wheat in the lowlands of Ethiopia (Werrer region).
- Further, build Debre Zeit capacity and infrastructure as a hub to evaluate stem rust resistance in durum wheat.
- Link closely with the hub in Kenya; on an annual basis visit the hub in Kenya and arrange visits for Ethiopian colleagues. Jointly select the best lines with potential for Ethiopia.
- Ensure representation of CIMMYT in wheat-relevant meetings in SSA, in partnership with Ethiopia CCR.
- Maintain links with other wheat programs in SSA and advise on access to CIMMYT germplasm, variety selection, and promotion.
- Maintain and explore options to expand cooperation with other funders and organizations on Ethiopian wheat production
- Play an active role in efforts by GWP to mobilize resources to expand its R4D agenda on wheat breeding, wheat seed systems, and the role of wheat in global/regional/national agri-food systems in SSA.
- Closely link with the bread and durum wheat program in Mexico and assure the data for CIMMYT germplasm evaluated in Ethiopia is shared.
- Publish research data in peer-reviewed journals and make presentations at meetings.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- in plant breeding or similar.
- Track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent partnership-building skills, including the ability to interact with funding agencies.
- Leadership and management skills for the oversight of large research projects.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, preferably Amharic.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving, and Decision-making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22176_Associate Scientist or Scientist – Wheat Breeder.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, January 27th, 2023. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.