Technical Coordinator (Aquaculture)
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to this website for more information: http://bisa.org/
We are seeking dynamic, innovative, self-motivated and service-oriented professionals for the position of Technical Coordinator (Aquaculture) depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate, to work within BISA’s new collaboration with WorldFish. WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization with headquarters in Penang, Malaysia, and offices in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific. WorldFish’s mission is to harness the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce poverty and hunger in developing countries. Please refer to this website for more information: www.worldfishcenter.org
The positions will be based at Assam and Odisha – 2 at each location.
The Technical Coordinator (Aquaculture) shall work as part of a team to national and international researchers conducting applied research on breeding and mass production of several micronutrient rich small indigenous fish species (SIS), providing technical training to private sector and government partners, collecting information on SIS production and sales by partner businesses, and conducting surveys of households adopting SIS farming technology. This research will contribute to commercialization of SIS aquaculture and the design and scaling of more effective innovations to improve nutrition.
- Develop and implement activity work plans for research on the mass production of several small indigenous fish species (SIS) under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and technical guidance of the technical consultant.
- Participate in pre-selection of sites for field activity.
- Work closely with staff of private and government hatcheries and other fish seed businesses, and students to conduct research activities on the mass production of several SIS and directed.
- Sustain quality of research work by ensuring a consistent process that leads to continued research support, accurate record keeping, and development of replicable protocols for mass production of SIS.
- Demonstrate breeding techniques and provide practical training on their application for private and public hatcheries and other fish seed businesses.
- Develop training modules for fisheries officers, farmers and pond workers in aspects of SIS breeding.
- Planning training courses, field days, workshops and other such activities related to research, development and technology transfer.
- Conduct training in fish breeding and practical aspects as scheduled under project.
- Coordinate on station field work and lab work to ensure consistent collection and analysis of data to ensure quality research results and technology development.
- Develop data collection tools and mechanisms of traceability under the guidance of the Project Manager to track the dissemination of improved seed.
- Collect, clean and store data on breeding, spawning, and broodstock in a standard, accessible and easily understandable format to enable replicating scientific studies and experiments.
- Together with the project team carry out data analysis and interpretation of results to write quality reports and science out-puts including journal articles.
- Lead the implementation of surveys of farms producing SIS.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Project Manager as and when required.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- M.F.Sc./ M.Sc. in Fisheries/ Zoology/ Life Sciences/ Agriculture or a closely related field.
- Hands on training, experience, and passion for fish breeding and hatchery management.
- Ability to live and work away from home in remote rural areas for extended periods of time and to work long hours as necessary.
- At least three years’ field experience.
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English.
- Good skill in Use of smart phone and Mobile App.
- Motorcycle/ Two-wheeler Driving License.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Creative Thinking, and Client Orientation.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Experience in implementing the surveys.
- Track record of written publications.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year with annual renewal subject to performance. Thereafter, the contract would be renewed based on overall performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter, CV and name & contact details of three professional referees you have worked for as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Sunday, July 25, 2021, to Human Resources, CIMMYT-BISA.
(Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Please insert Position Reference number: IN21135-38 in the subject of your email).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Women are encouraged to apply.
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.