Team Leader Social, Economics and Policy research team, Resilient Agricultural Livelihood Systems Program
|Reports to: Director of Resilient Agricultural Livelihood Systems Program|
|Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Advertisement date: May 4, 2018
Closing date: June 16, 2018
Main purpose of position
ICARDA seeks to hire a dynamic and highly qualified senior economist to lead the Social, Economics and Policy Research (SEPR) team and support ICARDA’s research programs. She/he will analyze polices and institutions related to agricultural and rural transformation, agricultural technology adoption and impact analysis, agricultural trade and markets, access to and ownership of key agricultural resources, agricultural value chain development, climate change and economic development, and gender and social inclusion. She/he will play a lead role in aligning the research focus of ICARDA with the socio-economic development agenda of non-tropical dryland countries. The successful candidate is expected to have a solid background on the theoretical underpinnings of the political economy of development, be conversant with qualitative and quantitative tools and techniques for comprehensive agricultural policy analysis and strategies for effective policy engagement, advocacy, and influence. He/she will have a collaborative and inclusive approach and a track record in effectively leading teams.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
- Provide strategic, scientific and management leadership to the Social, Economics and Policy Research team within the Resilient Agricultural Livelihoods Systems Program of ICARDA (the current team is made up of 8 scientists);
- Develop, plan and implement the socioeconomic and policy research agenda contributing to the effectiveness and impact of ICARDA’s research;
- Develop, foster and maintain interdisciplinary collaborative approaches within socioeconomic research and across other disciplines;
- Support ICARDA’s research programs in embedding socio-economics and policy into their research;
- Position ICARDA ‘s social, economics and policy research within the international research for development arena to increase awareness of ICARDA’s research and its impact;
- Seek mutually beneficial collaborations with external centers of excellence and world renowned scholars;
- Lead ICARDA’s policy research for generating evidence that supports agricultural and rural transformation through enhanced agricultural technology adoption and impacts, more equitable agricultural trade and markets, achievement of gender equity, improved access to and ownership of key agricultural resources, agricultural value chain development, adaptation to climate change and economic development;
- Lead or oversee impact studies of ICARDA’s research;
- Play a key role in ICARDA’s fund raising efforts, by identifying strategic and innovative research streams, and designing relevant and high-quality projects;
- Develop an effective strategy and mechanisms that are in line with the interests of the regions for evidence-based policy engagement and advocacy with relevant stakeholders including key decision makers in countries of ICARDA’s interest;
- Design and implement capacity development activities on agricultural policy formulation and research;
- Publish research results in international referred (ISI) journals, international fora and in popular media.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
- PhD in Agricultural Economics or closely related fields
- At least 12 years of experience in conducting research on social, agricultural economics and policy, including experience managing teams;
- A track record in envisaging, designing and implementing effective research programs;
- Proven experience in applied economics of analyzing and formulating policies for agriculture transformations and enhancing rural livelihoods
- Proven track record in fund raising and networking with the wider development community
- Strong publication record in relevant international referred journals
- Knowledge and experience in synthesizing information and communicating with decision making officials and ability to present the key results in concise and authoritative manner
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build, lead and manage diverse teams of talented scientists from different disciplines and cultures;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively interact and communicate research outputs and impacts with diverse audiences;
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary
- Knowledge and understanding of the social, economic and political fabric of the agriculture sector in CWANA region would be an advantage
- Interest and dedication to the mission of ICARDA.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by June 16, 2018.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.