Senior Scientist – Systems Agronomist
ICRISAT invites applications for the position of Senior Scientist – Systems Agronomist. This position is based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Hyderabad, Telangana. This position reports to Research Program Director – Innovation Systems for the Drylands.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
In the semi-arid agro-ecologies, empowering smallholder farmers to achieve food security and create cash earning agricultural enterprises requires a deep understanding of the tradeoffs and risks farmers face in managing their highly resource constrained and climate vulnerable systems. ICRISAT works with the national agricultural research and extension agencies, NGO’s and higher education institutions locally and abroad to develop farm technologies and management systems, create markets and value chains based around a set of mandate crops and technologies that are well adapted to the semi-arid tropics. Expert knowledge of agronomy and managing climate risk along with the application of systems modelling tools, enables researchers to identify intervention strategies that result in the greatest returns for the lowest risk. In this regard, farming system models such as APSIM or DSSAT have been extensively applied in the simulation of soil-crop-season interactions to understand how the historical weather analysis and forecasts (from short to seasonal climate forecasts) may inform management. With the increased focus on the concept of innovation systems driving the creation of inclusive market orientated development (IMOD), ICRISAT is retooling to undertake multidisciplinary research for development and systems approaches. A systems agronomist with skills in applying models to real world problems such as managing farm level climate risk is required for South Asia to strengthen our team in its engagement in the framework of several programs.
- Provide scientific leadership in applying farm systems modelling frameworks to the research for development that leads to more sustainable smallholder farming systems for the target regions in South Asia.
- Contribute to the on-going research program in India around climate risk management, water, and nutrient use efficiency, assessing climate change impacts and planning for adaptation under the CCAFS, GLDC and associated bilateral projects.
- Provide expertise in data analytics of climate and cropping systems data to understand temporal and spatial dynamics and change in crop based systems.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams from ICRISAT, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), development partners (e.g. IFAD, GIZ, USAID) and other CGIAR Centers and higher education institutions such as the State Agricultural Universities.
- Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts of ICRISAT and the CGIAR Research Programs through writing research proposals, building capacity in our partners, engaging with the University sector by co-supervising postgraduate students.
- Ph.D. degree in agriculture, agro-meteorology, crop science or similar with 7+years of experience in farming systems and agronomic related research.
- Significant experience in conducting field based (on-farm, on-station) agronomic research and collecting high quality data.
- Significant expertise in the parameterization, validation, and application of crop models in agronomic research and incorporation of findings into extension material and publications.
- A good understanding of the role and usefulness of climate information services in agriculture and expertise in the management and analytics of data related to climate information and predictive models of future climate.
- An excellent publication record, as evidenced by senior authored research papers in international refereed journals.
- Experience in working with a wide range of stakeholders and interest to work in interdisciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to participate in field work and travel extensively in South Asia and on occasion to sub-Saharan Africa.
- Excellence in English (both spoken and written).
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder farmers in the highly vulnerable climates of the semi-arid tropics and agronomic knowledge of the major crops and cropping systems of the South Asian region.
- Demonstrated ability to write proposals and fund raise.
- Ability to apply tools and methodologies and produce scientifically based advice to stakeholders across scales from farm to region.
This is a Scientific and Managerial Group (SMG) cadre position, initially for a period of three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institutes continuing need for the position
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 7 October 2018, with the letter of motivation, the latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer