Senior Research Associate, Potato Seed Systems (19-102)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Bhubaneswar Odisha India
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic Senior Research Associate in Potato Seed Systems with excellent scientific and technical skills in potato seed production including multilocation varietal evaluations, seed multiplications and out scaling to implement a potato project on “Sustainable Intensification of Potato for achieving self-sufficiency” in Odisha, India.
About the role:
This position will be based in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India and will report to the Project Manager. One of the position’s objective is to test new potato varieties and advanced clones in multilocation demonstrations for variety selection and release with partner institutions in Assam. Further, the candidate will support project interventions to develop sustainable potato seed systems and conduct trainings and capacity building of Integrated Seed Health Management. The candidate will work with interdisciplinary science teams at CIP’s regional office in New Delhi, India and headquarters in Lima, Peru. The work duties include frequent travel within Assam.
- Conduct multilocation participatory varietal trials of advanced CIP clones in collaboration with local partners.
- Record and manage data from field demonstrations and provide statistical analysis of phenotypic data.
- Develop local seed production system using aeroponics and apical rooted cutting techniques.
- Coordinate the scaling up of seed production of recommended varieties, clones and new releases for demonstrations and dissemination.
- Provide trainings to project partners, private sector and farmers for seed multiplications using aeroponics and apical rooted cutting techniques.
- Provide key technical input into training programs to strengthen the capacity of local partners and farmers.
- Contribute to writing training materials, technical progress reports and annual reviews and workplans as directed by the Project Manager.
What are we looking for?
- Masters or higher degree in Genetics & Plant Breeding, seed technology or related field.
- At least 8 years of experience in similar positions, preferably working with potato.
- Well versed with potato seed production using tissue culture, aeroponics, rooted cuttings under green houses, net houses and open fields.
- Practical experience in potato seed production particularly G0 & G1 seeds and plant tissue culture will be preferred.
- Willingness to successfully implement research into the agriculture development program (s), perform activities in lab and field, manage travel or other activities required for accomplishment of the project.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines
- Good data management, statistical skills and technical reporting.
- Good record of scientific and technical publications.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong understanding of integrating gender and other social equity considerations into project design and delivery.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English and/or regional languages would be an advantage.
What are we offering?
- Great career opportunity in an international organization.
- Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
- One-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.