Senior/Principal Scientist – Agricultural Economist
ICRISAT seeks applications for a Senior or Principal Agricultural Economist to be based at ICRISAT headquarters at Patancheru in India. The position reports to the Theme Lead, Markets, Institutions, Nutrition and Diversity (MIND) and to the Director of the overall Research Program, Innovation Systems for the Drylands (ISD) which is one of the two global programs that support the three regions where ICRISAT works (South Asia, West and Central Africa, East and Southern Africa). These global programs collaborate with the regional programs to bring further disciplinary depth in applying modern research methodologies, analytical tools, innovative, integrative and systems thinking into the research for development agenda of ICRISAT and its partners.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in Sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
An experienced and exceptional agricultural economist is sought with capabilities to analyze farming and livelihood systems, trade-offs and synergies employing systems approach/tools enabling co-designing of sustainable crop-livestock systems. She/he will also lead research on sustainability assessment of farming systems, crop-livestock value chain development, scaling climate smart agriculture in developing country context and ex-ante and ex-post impact assessment as well as theoretical contributions on drivers and pathways for agricultural and rural transformation and nutritional security. This will be in support of the design of effective food system interventions for key commodities (with emphasis on grain legumes and dryland cereals) and tracking progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) across households, countries and regions.
- Conduct theory-led scientific research addressing various aspects of economic behavior and policy relevance, including, resilience building under drylands, adoption patterns and drivers of nutritional outcomes, rural poverty and development trajectories and agricultural transformation.
- Develop frameworks and assess sustainability metrics on farming systems interventions in to guide sustainable intensification of farming systems.
- Analyze trade-off frontiers of farm scale options and assessing the competitiveness of new technologies and natural resource management and value chain options and their impacts on whole household cash flows and on risk management strategies considering climate variability and change using household level bio-economic modeling in support of co-designing resilient farming systems.
- Develop frameworks and employing tools such as systems dynamics modelling to analyze smallholders’ value chains targeting nutrition and resilience of crop-livestock systems.
- Capacity building of value chain actors and NARS including gender mainstreaming for inclusive agribusiness development.
- Climate impact and vulnerability assessment; developing evidence based unified approaches for scaling climate smart agriculture in developing country context by employing appropriate framework, tools and platforms to guide public and private investments for climate adaptation. Co-design strategies for effective policy engagement, advocacy, and influence.
- PhD degree in agricultural economics or relevant social science related field.
- Work Experience (10+ Years) in the area of agricultural research for development with high quality research outputs including an excellent record of publication in high impact journals.
- Thorough knowledge of the academic literature, the ability to formulate research questions, ability to design experiments and quasi-experiments.
- Experience in household level economic modeling, econometric analysis of survey data- efficiency analysis-productivity analysis, value chain modelling and experience in large-scale digital data collection and data analysis and open to learn new statistical tools as required by research projects.
- Thorough knowledge of applied micro-economic theories and familiarity with the contemporary macro-economic literature as relevant for food systems
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and intercultural teams, ability and willingness to publish research findings in peer – reviewed journals and willingness to travel extensively across the ICRISAT focus countries.
- Excellence in English (both spoken and written).
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder farmers in the highly vulnerable climates of the semi-arid tropics and agronomic knowledge of the major crops and cropping systems of the South Asian, sub-Saharan African region.
- Demonstrated ability to write proposals and fund raise.
- Ability to apply tools and methodologies and produce scientifically based advice to stakeholders across scales from farm to region.
- Fluency in a language other than English. The French language would be particularly desirable.
This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position with competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The position is initially for a period of three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the Institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply
Applicants should apply on or before 21 July 2019, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer