Senior Manager, Research, Innovation and Partnership, GFAiR (Rome, Italy)
The Global Forum on Agricultural Research and Innovation (GFAiR) is a voluntary multi-stakeholder network and movement for change, uniquely bringing together actors from 13 constituencies interested in the transformation of the Agri-Food System. GFAiR is made up of over 900 member networks and institutions, working together through collective advocacy and action, to shape the future of agriculture and food and their role in achieving sustainable development. The partners in GFAiR come from all around the world and across many constituencies, including farmers, consumers and civil society organizations, women and youth organizations, the private sector, public national and international research systems, advisory services, education, donor bodies and three UN Organizations. GFAiR’s reach is achieved through these organizations and the many millions of people they involve.
GFAiR mobilizes dialogue and Collective Actions between the many partners who make up the Forum and who share GFAiR’s common vision of making agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive, and equitable towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes. The GFAiR Secretariat helps trigger these Collective Actions among GFAiR partner institutions, who are themselves the agents of change. GFAiR helps inspire and enable the transformation and strengthening of agri-food research and innovation for development systems and processes to become more inclusive and equitable, more effective, and impactful and catalyses changes, fostering dialogue and new forms of multi stakeholder collaboration at different levels, through its extensive networks, South- South, North South and between constituencies.
On behalf of GFAiR, the Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), which hosts GFAiR in its Rome, Italy, office, is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Senior Manager.
About the position
Under the direct supervision of the GFAiR Executive Secretary, the incumbent will provide leadership and manage a team to implement the programme’s goals, secure its future and plan the successful delivery of the outputs and products.
- Advises and supports the Executive Secretary of GFAiR and oversees the governing bodies GFAiR.
- Manages the Rome office of GFAiR and leads multidisciplinary teams.
- Implements and oversees GFAiR’s project(s).
- Mobilizes and facilitates dialogue among partners, particularly within the context of the Global National Agricultural Research System (NARS) Consortium and specific Collective Actions, and other GFAiR initiatives.
- Spearheads and develops GFAiR’s vision of making agrifood research and innovation more effective, responsive, and equitable, contributing to Sustainable Development outcomes through the development of policies and strategies.
- Leads and manages GFAiR’s resource mobilization and partnership efforts.
- Coordinates content development with GFAiR’s knowledge management (Knowledge and Learning Hub) and oversees communication activities as needed.
- Develop corporate documents (PPPs, plans, concept notes, annual reports).
- Is responsible for the production of studies, articles, and other publications.
- Develops and implements methodologies, tools, and systems, to support the planning and delivery of programmes of work (Knowledge and Learning Hub, MEL system, project management system).
- Liaises and develops relationships with CGIAR/ABC, IFAD, FAO, and other key stakeholders.
- Supports the holding of GFAiR’s governance meetings (Executive Committee, Steering Committee, Members/Partners Assembly).
- Actively participates in international conferences and field workshops.
- Master’s degree preferably in agriculture, economics, social sciences, development studies, international relations, or related fields.
- Relevant professional experience in the field of research, agrifood and agricultural innovation systems transformation, international research, participatory innovation development and facilitation of partnerships including several years in countries of the Global South. (Minimum 8 years of experience is desirable)
- Strong understanding of issues related to agriculture and rural development, with a network in agricultural research and development.
- Proven track record in designing and implementing strategies, polices, and systems in complex, geographically dispersed and multicultural organizations.
- Managerial expertise demonstrated through successful development, planning, execution and monitoring of major projects or programmes.
- Leadership skills evident in inspiring and developing diverse teams, emphasizing diversity, knowledge sharing, and staff development combined with supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective relationships with colleagues and external partners, including research, development, private sector, and funding partners.
- Exceptional facilitation, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact across all levels and build consensus in a multicultural disciplinary environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit to identify and pursue new opportunities.
- Understanding and interest in leveraging information and artificial technology for programme efficiency in a geographically distributed organization.
- Excellent drafting skills and proficiency in written and spoken English; knowledge of other languages highly desirable.
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited position based in Rome, Italy. The salary is level 11, on a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest. The Alliance offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance, housing allowance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The initial contract will be for a period of 2 years subject to a probationary period of six months and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Please apply online through the website ( https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers ) no later than , attaching a curriculum vitae, motivation letter, both in English, and contact information (e.g. names, email address) of at least three references. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 15 January 2024
We invite you to learn more about us at:
Please visit our careers page at:
 The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity. Bioversity International and CIAT are CGIAR Research Centers. For further information consult the website at https://alliancebioversityciat.org/