Scientist/Senior Scientist – CCAFS Science Officer
The International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics (ICRISAT) seeks applications for a Scientist/Senior Scientist to serve in its ICRISAT Bamako, Mali Office. The position will contribute to research on climate change impact in agriculture in West Africa, particularly on the management of risk from climate change and variability and the upscaling of climate-smart agriculture.
The position is funded under the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). CCAFS aims to address the increasing challenge of global warming and declining food security on agricultural practices, policies and measures through a strategic collaboration between CGIAR and Future Earth (http://ccafs.cgiar.org). Through this collaboration, CCAFS brings together strategic research in agricultural science, development research, climate science and earth system science, to overcome the threats that a changing climate poses to food security, rural livelihoods, and the environment. Led by the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), CCAFS taps into the collective expertise of all 15 CGIAR research centers and other thematic Research Programs from all around the world.
ICRISAT Bamako, Mali Office hosts the CCAFS West Africa Regional Program which is one of the five CCAFS research intervention zones – East Africa, West Africa, South Asia, Latin America and Southeast Asia. The regional approach aims to ensure complementarity of thematic research, and to be the basis of a strong network of partners implementing the research work. Regions are creating science-based evidence on climate-smart solutions and influencing their integration into national development plans. They spearhead the achievement of outcomes and impacts at national and regional levels.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
The incumbent will report to CCAFS Regional Program Leader (RPL) under the administrative leadership of the ICRISAT Research Program Director for West & Central Africa. The role has the expected responsibilities:
- Conducts research on climate change – agriculture nexus, the management of risk from climate change and variability and the upscaling of climate-smart agriculture across ICRISAT WCA intervention zone, including the focus countries of CCAFS in West Africa;
- Synthesizes knowledge and contributes to strategic research of interest to ICRISAT, to CCAFS Program in particular within own areas of expertise;
- Handles management tasks and execution of research activities for the West Africa Team, especially with regards to the development and advancement of partnerships, the monitoring of budget implementation and fund disbursement according to contracts with partners;
- Assists in the development of yearly work plan and budget as well as reviewing and synthesizing results for annual reporting;
- Engages with other regions, CGIAR Centres and partners for coherent implementation of activities and for specific contributions to CCAFS global level initiatives; Organises and participates to workshops, meetings and capacity‐building activities of CCAFS;
- Ensures fund raising through development of research proposals in collaboration where possible, with partners;
- Represents the Regional Program Leader in national, regional and international meetings, to communicate scientific results and to interacting with researchers, policy makers and other stakeholders to facilitate project implementation and attainment of outcomes;
- PhD in agricultural science, environmental science, climate change or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years’ post-doctoral experience in the above-mentioned areas (ideally in an interdisciplinary environment);
- Relevant work experience in program/project management, including planning and monitoring of project executions with multiple partners;
- Good skills on participatory action research and smallholder farming systems in West Africa, climate related risks, and the use of research to achieving development outcomes;
- Experience in leading teams, working with a wide range of stakeholders and interest to work in interdisciplinary team;
- Excellent communication skills in French and English;
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills, and ability to write synthesis reports as well as to publish in peer reviewed international journals;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks with diverse multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder farmers in the highly vulnerable climates of the semi-arid tropics and good knowledge of the major cropping systems of the West African region
- Experience in science-policy interchange for the mainstreaming of research results into agricultural development policies;
- Experience on system modeling or big data analyses
This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position for three years with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The contract will be extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered to the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 30 April 2019, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please “CLICK HERE” to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in increasing the participation of women on its staff.