Scientist: Agronomy / Agro-Climatology [WCA]
ICRISAT seeks applications for the position of Scientist in Agronomy/Agro-climatology to be a part of the interdisciplinary research team based in West and Central Africa (RP-WCA). The position is based at ICRISAT- Kano in Nigeria.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-confessional and non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org.
The Agronomist/Agro-climatologist will undertake the following activities:
- Be responsible for designing and implementing protocols to measure the efficiency of farming systems from plot to farm levels in the ATASP-1 sorghum outreach program
- Acquiring and processing data (climate, agriculture, etc.) relevant to agro-climatic risk modeling and study of genotype x environment x management interactions
- Lead work on integrating new knowledge into national extension materials and develop tools and processes that enable continuous updating thereof
- Lead participatory and inclusive decision support tool design, validation and testing with research and development partners
- Supervise technical staff, and contribute to station’s capacity building efforts, coaching of trainees and development of national partnerships
- Supervise Ph.D and M.Sc students with both local and international universities.
- Ph.D degree in Agricultural Meteorology, Agriculture, Soil Science, or related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years’ Post-Doctoral work experience on Agronomy and related climate change research
- Experience in systems modelling and handling of large digital datasets
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder agriculture in the semi-arid and sub-humid tropics and good knowledge of the major cropping systems of the West African region
- High competency in the design and implementation of field-based experiments and demonstration programs
- Understanding of semi-arid smallholder farming systems, opportunities and constraints for sustainable intensification
- Demonstrated high performance and ability to undertake scaling-up research
- Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment
- Knowledge of statistical tools and big data management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals.
- Ability and willingness to participate in field work and travel extensively
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff [IRS] position initially for 1.07 Years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 03 August, 2019; with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer