Scientific Officer – World Vegetable Center
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian nationals for the post of Scientific Officer to work on the project “Genetic Enhancement of Minor Pulses: Characterization, Evaluation, Genetic Enhancement and Generation of Genomic Resources for Accelerated Utilization and Improvement of Minor Pulses” funded by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India. The position will be based at ICRISAT-Patancheru, Hyderabad.
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is an international non-profit institute for vegetable research and development. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Center’s global network today covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central Asia. The Center mobilizes resources from the public and private sector to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. WorldVeg’s improved varieties, production and postharvest methods help farmers increase vegetable harvests, raise incomes in poor rural and urban households, create jobs, and provide healthier, more nutritious diets for families and communities. For more information, please visit our website: worldveg.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Working under the guidance of the project leader to implement project activities including –
- Conduct laboratory, glasshouse and field experiments on screening for biotic and abiotic stress resistance/tolerance in legumes
- Conduct plant hybridization activities in legumes
- Conduct marker assisted selection
- Data collection and collation and maintenance of databases
- Preparation of research reports and papers
- Conduct research work activities as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience in plant hybridization
- Sound knowledge of plant breeding and genetics
- Experience in marker assisted selection
- Excellent communication and computer skills, with fluency in written and spoken English and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Sc. in Plant Breeding or a related field with a good academic record
- At least three years of experience in laboratory, glasshouse and field operations
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) cadre position, for one year, renewable on an annual basis depending on performance and the project’s continuing need for the position.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 30 April, 2019 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”