Scientific Officer – Digital Agriculture
- Published on
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian Nationals for the post of Scientific Officer – Digital Agriculture. This position is based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Hyderabad, Telangana. This position reports to Lead – Digital Agriculture and Strategic Initiatives.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
In the semi-arid agro-ecologies, empowering smallholder farmers to achieve food security and create cash earning agricultural enterprises requires a deep understanding of the tradeoffs and risks farmers face in managing their highly resource constrained systems. ICRISAT works with the national agricultural research and extension agencies, NGO’s, private sector and higher education institutions locally and abroad to develop farm technologies and management systems, create markets and value chains based around a set of mandate crops and technologies that are well adapted to the semi-arid tropics.
With an increased focus on the concept of innovation systems driving the creation of inclusive market orientated development (IMOD), ICRISAT is retooling to undertake multidisciplinary research for development and systems approaches. Digital Agriculture theme under the Research Program – Innovation Systems for Drylands (ISD) aims to drive innovation and enable IMOD through innovative use of ICT and achieved through extensive partnerships with private sector.
Digital Agriculture theme requires a Scientific Officer (SO) to manage to provide oversight and co-ordination to digital agriculture projects. A typical Digital Agriculture project will have activities spanning requirements analysis, systems design, software development, testing, deployment and roll out. Since ICRISAT is a science driven organization, the projects must necessarily embed the scientific edge and thinking around all such engagements. While each of these activities are undertaken by specialists and the incumbent is expected to co-ordinate all these various activities and provide the much needed glue to ensure cohesion across all these specialists. Developing a project plan and tracking the progress is an essential daily activity. The incumbent is expected to divide his/her time across multiple Digital Ag projects but in the immediate future, the incumbent is expected to drive the Seed Catalogue and Adoption Roadmaps project that has been deployed the DAY theme. The incumbent is expected to handle upgrades to this tool and also liaison with various stakeholders to drive data collection. Additionally, the incumbent is also expected to undertake ownership of documentation requirements of these projects.
- Coordinate and support the management and implementation of Digital Ag projects
- Take ownership of necessary documentation part of the agreed project deliverables list including user manuals etc.
- A high-level understanding of various tools and technologies, software architectures will be highly valuable
- Support Project Teams in coordinating with stakeholders and partners
- Support Project Teams in organizing meetings, workshops and events
- Support activities within ICRISAT ihub including organizing meetings and events with stakeholders
- Design and develop learning and other PR materials for Digital Ag team
- Master’s degree in IT systems or Business Management with a specialization in agriculture
- Good written and oral communications skills in English
- Willingness and aptitude to quickly learn and use new technologies/programming languages
- Prior experience in IT project management/coordination either under waterfall or agile development methodologies
- A proactive and independent approach to work with good experience in multi-stakeholder project coordination
- Develop understanding and working knowledge in tools like Microsoft Project Plan (MPP), SharePoint and other online cloud services
- Expertise in MS word, power points, excel, SharePoint is desirable
- Previous exposure to different stages in the complete software development life cycle
- Knowledge of agriculture and how the application of Digital Agriculture may enhance productivity, logistics or market access for smallholder farmers and value chain actors
This is a Locally Recruited Staff position for three years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 14-October-2018, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer