Rice Breeder - Scientist
Rice Breeder – Scientist
AfricaRice is seeking a “Rice Breeder – Scientist” who will be based at the AfricaRice station located at the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Ibadan, Nigeria.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Rice Breeder, under immediate supervision of the Genetic Diversity and Improvement Program Leader, H/She will undertake activities related to the breeding pipelines of AfricaRice from the Ibadan Research Station. The successful candidate will:
- Develop high yielding varieties corresponding to product profiles for the rainfed lowland ecosystems in West and Central Africa, in close collaboration with breeding teams of the Center’s centralized breeding program, by combining good agronomic traits, desirable grain quality, and tolerance/resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses through both conventional and marker-assisted breeding approaches;
- Lead the testing of advanced breeding lines developed by the Center and other research institutes for various ecologies (i.e. rainfed lowland, irrigated, upland) at AfricaRice’s Ibadan Station, Multi Environment Trials (MET) and On-farm Trials (OFT) conducted by the Africa-wide Breeding Task Force (BTF) in an assigned region in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA);
- Coordinate MET and OFT for rainfed lowland ecology across SSA;
- Facilitate varietal release and adoption and create demand for superior varieties;
- Contribute to QTL/gene discovery, marker development, and genomic selection model development, in collaboration with scientists from the Center, NARS and other research institutes/universities or platforms;
- Mobilize resources to sustain the research and prepare project reports to donors;
- Publish research results in international referred journals;
- Provide degree and nondegree trainings to students and NARS partners.
Qualifications /Selection Criteria
Education and work experience: PhD in breeding, genetics, crop science, or other related fields with a minimum of 5-year experience in plant breeding;
Knowledge and Key Competencies:
- Highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative;
- Strong record of innovation and process improvement in breeding;
- Excellent knowledge of statistics in field experimental design and data analysis;
- Good project management, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong scientific writing skills;
- Ability to work in multicultural environments;
- Experience of working in Sub Saharan Africa is an advantage.
The candidate should communicate fluently (oral and writing) in both languages English and French, or having a good working knowledge in the other language.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position
- AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment
- The initial appointment is for three (03) years with the possibility for renewal under funds availability
How to apply
- Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org). Applications are not allowed through this email.
- Expressions of interest (a full CV + supporting statement) including the names and addresses (telephone / fax / email) of three referees should be submitted – This is prompted to you in the application process. This step is compulsory
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To Apply click on this following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php and follow these below instructions:
- Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access your account
- Select “Biometrician/Statistician”
- Follow the step by step application.
Not later than January 17, 2020.
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
We thank all candidates, but remember that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org