Rice Breeder – Postdoctoral Fellow
Rice Breeder – Postdoctoral Fellow
The Africa Rice Centre (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified “Rice Breeder – Postdoctoral Fellow” to be based at AfricaRice’s 700 ha experimental station at M’bé, near Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire.
Bouake is the second largest city in Côte d’Ivoire, right after Abidjan and is located in the centre of the country, at about 350 km North of Abidjan and 107 km from Yamoussoukro. Bouake is going through a phase of modernization. The city has an airport and hotels, and a pleasant tropical and sub humid climate. Bouake offers many supermarkets, universities, and schools with Ivorian curricula, sport or event venues as well as health facilities. Bouake is a pleasant city with very low prices and light traffic unlike in capital cities. The Abidjan-Yamoussoukro highway is already operational, and Yamoussoukro-Bouake should be operational by 2020. This will bring down the average travel time to 3 hours.
The Headquarters and biggest Station of AfricaRice is located in the commune of M’Be, 35 km away from Bouake. Most of its scientific and technical staff is based in Bouake.
However, AfricaRice offers, on a case-by-case basis, to interested staff the opportunity to accommodate his/her schooling family in Abidjan and to travel frequently to Bouake as part of his/her work.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 27 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Rice Breeder – Post-Doctoral Fellow, under direct supervision of the Genetic Diversity and Improvement Program Leader, will undertake activities related to the breeding pipelines for rainfed lowland, upland and irrigated ecologies. The successful candidate will:
- Conduct line development activities including cross making, rapid generation advance from F2 to F5 using Single Seed Descent method, and field evaluation of F6 lines;
- Facilitate leaf sampling for genotyping at F6 for forward selection, and screenings for grain quality and disease resistances at F7;
- Manage yield trials for various ecologies;
- Manage seed purification, multiplication and dissemination of breeding lines to all AfricaRice’s research stations and NARS for testing;
- Contribute to resource mobilization and project reporting;
- Contribute to degree and nondegree trainings of students and NARS partners.
Qualifications /Selection Criteria
Education: PhD in breeding, genetics, crop or seed sciences, or other related fields.
Work Experience: Significant and demonstrated experience in field-based cropping systems research and on-farm participatory research.
Knowledge and Key Competencies:
- Highly self-motivated and result-oriented;
- Demonstrated knowledge in statistics (experimental design and data analysis);
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and comfortable to work in multicultural environments;
- Strong writing ability.
The candidate should communicate fluently (oral or in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with renewal of contract possibility based on performance and availability of funding.
Expressions of interest (a full CV + supporting statement) including the names and addresses (telephone / fax / email) of three referees should be submitted.
To apply for this position, please send your applications to email@example.com with the following mention in subject: “Recruitment process Rice Breeder – Postdoctoral Fellow”.
Applications will be considered until Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence in our operations and particularly welcome qualified applications from women, people living with disabilities and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about us, please visit our website at