Research Technician for Speed Breeding-ICARDA
Icarda HR Team
Reports to: Barley Breeder
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Main purpose of position
Providing supervision and support to the Speed Breeding activities of the Barley Breeding Program, including the implementation, sample collection, data gathering and management of the trials.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
• Support/implement Speed Breeding trials including sowing, harvesting, and threshing.
• Assist/supervise leaf sample collection for genotyping.
• Coordinate with the assisting disciplines-laboratories the testing of the selected Speed Breeding lines.
• Supervise and coordinate the daily labors hired to assist in the Speed Breeding operations.
• Tabulate data pertaining to different trials.
• Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Education, qualifications, and experience
• Technician Diploma in agriculture or related discipline or considerable demonstrated ability in field and laboratory research.
• At least 2 years of experience working in related fields.
• Experience in sample collection for genotyping is highly valued.
• Experience in working with fast generation advancement methods in cereals is highly valued.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Basic knowledge of English writing and data recording and entry will be valued.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits as per NRS requirements
This is a nationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave.
The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, of which the first year will be a probationary period. Subsequent employment is determined based on the performance, the availability of funds and continued need for the position.
How to apply
Please apply online at this link, by 30 June 2022 latest.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.