Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow - Program Leader
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow and leader of IFPRI’s new Sudan Country Strategy Support Program (SSSP). This is a 2-year, exempt, renewable appointment in IFPRI’s Development Strategy and Governance Division and based in Khartoum, Sudan. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
The newly-established SSSP aims to enhance capacity in Sudan for evidence-based policy making in the areas of agriculture, food security, economic transformation, poverty reduction, resilience, and nutrition. Key research and capacity strengthening activities will be carried out with a broad array of stakeholders, including government ministries that oversee food systems, Sudanese universities and research institutes, relevant private sector and nongovernmental organizations, and the donor community.
Essential Duties :
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Program Management: Develop and oversee individual work plans and coordinate research activities within the SSSP; Supervise the work of various research support staff and provide professional mentoring to others; Recruit and manage national staff and collaborators; Develop and monitor the program/ project budgets; Provide regular reporting on program/project activities and budgets; Contribute to the preparation of internal and external program reviews; Maintain regular communication with the IFPRI-Washington office.
- Fundraising/Resource Mobilization: Through an active in-country presence, identify additional funding opportunities and channel donor resources to available skills and expertise in IFPRI; Develop research funding proposals and prepare donor reports; Liaise with donor & senior government stakeholders on projects and respond to in-country policy research needs
- Research/Capacity Building: Conduct and supervise research related to agricultural development, marketing and trade, poverty reduction and nutrition, resilience and climate change, and governance and institutions; Publish research in peer-reviewed publications; Design and supervise capacity-strengthening activities.
- Policy Communication: C ommunicate research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academics, policy makers, local partners) through multiple dissemination approaches; Create links to external collaborators and groups
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Public Policy, Public Finance, or closely related social science field.
- At the Research Fellow level, minimum of 5 years of relevant post-PhD experience.
- At the Senior Research Fellow level, minimum of 7 years of relevant post-PhD experience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform critical analyses of own and others’ research.
- Proven record of publications record in internationally-recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening.
- Experience working in Africa and/or the Middle East.
- Willingness to travel extensively as required.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
- Proven experience in developing, managing and reporting on program/project budgets.
- Proven record of fundraising success.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing teams.
- Experience in setting up large-scale research programs in developing country contexts.
- Knowledge or and experience working in Sudan.
- Proficiency in Arabic or willingness to learn Arabic.