Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow and Leader
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow and Leader of its Tajikistan Evaluation and Analysis Activity (TEAA) for a two-year, exempt, renewable appointment. This position will be based in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and reports to the Director of the Development Strategy and Governance (DSG). The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
TEAA aims to enhance capacity in Tajikistan for evidence-based policymaking in the areas of agriculture, food security, and nutrition. It will provide Tajikistan’s agri-food sector with the necessary research, evidence, and knowledge to expand private sector opportunities, enhance household nutrition and resilience, and improve natural resource management. Under TEAA, IFPRI will support research and capacity-strengthening for the implementation of Tajikistan’s Agricultural Development Strategy and addresses policy effectiveness and coherence within the agri-food system as well as between the agricultural sector and other sectors key to economic growth, poverty reduction, and food security. Key research and capacity-strengthening activities will be carried out with a broad array of agri-food system stakeholders, including Tajikistan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Tajikistan Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Center for Strategic Research under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan, and other government ministries and agencies, key universities and research institutes, and selected private sector and non-governmental organizations.
It is anticipated that about 30 percent of the job will be allocated to program management and liaising with the Ministry of Agriculture, donors, and partners to set research priorities and design research activities, and the other 70 percent to research, capacity building, and policy communication and outreach activities.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Research/Capacity Building: Based on an identified program of work, the selected candidate leads or participates in specific research or special studies, organizes or provides support to targeted training programs, and coordinates with Washington-based and in-country staff on specific research and training activities that fall within the country program. Maintains oversight on and coordinates research by IFPRI staff and with local partners to maintain a strong flow of outputs.
- Policy Communication. Maintains active policy communication with national counterparts through organizing high-level policy symposiums and seminars, publishing policy briefs and discussion papers in publication series of the TEAA program or of IFPRI; establishing active links with various national research institutions; and liaising with stakeholders and donors in Tajikistan’s agri-food sector on a regular basis. Maintains a proactive stance within IFPRI of engagement with the government of Tajikistan and other stakeholders.
- Program Management: Manages local office staff and program resources, updates annual work programs, reports annual performance, and maintains regular communication with the IFPRI-Washington office. Manages and monitors national collaborators and IFPRI researcher activities.
- Fundraising/Resource Mobilization: Through an active in-country presence, identify additional research funding opportunities, respond to in-country policy research needs, and channel donor resources to available skills and expertise in IFPRI.
- D. in Economics, Agricultural Economics, International Development, or related field.
- Strong capabilities in quantitative data analysis using economy-wide modeling and/or applied econometric analysis.
- At the Research Fellow level, minimum of 5 years of relevant post-PhD experience.
- At the Senior Research Fellow level, minimum of 7 years of relevant post-PhD experience.
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing teams.
- Understanding of issues related to structural transformation, labor markets and employment, agricultural development, poverty reduction and food security in transition and developing countries.
- Proven record of publications record in internationally-recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening.
- Proven experience in developing, managing and reporting on program/project budgets.
- Proven record of fundraising success.
- Proficiency in econometric/computational software packages (e.g., Stata, R).
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary.
- Previous experience with applied policy and research activities in developing and transition countries.
- Interest in structural transformation, labor markets and employment, agricultural development and food security in transition economies.
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/stretch
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. IFPRI’s strategic research aims to foster a climate-resilient and sustainable food supply; promote healthy diets and nutrition for all; build inclusive and efficient markets, trade systems, and food industries; transform agricultural and rural economies; and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is integrated in all the Institute’s work. Partnerships, communications, capacity strengthening, and data and knowledge management are essential components to translate IFPRI’s research from action to impact. The Institute’s regional and country programs play a critical role in responding to demand for food policy research and in delivering holistic support for country-led development. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world and is a CGIAR Research Center.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. Women and developing country professionals are encouraged to apply.
Click on the following link to access the Research Fellow/ Senior Research Fellow – Program Leader – Tajikistan job application: