Research Analyst I/II
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow (RF) for a two-year, renewable appointment in the South Asia Region Office (SAR). The selected candidate will conduct research on Agricultural Markets, Commodity Value Chain, and Regional Trade. This position will include collaborating with partners in South Asian countries, on the development of proposals to funders, shaping the research agenda for markets and trade related issues in the region. The candidate will also work on other related research projects, as needed. The position is based in New Delhi, India and will require travel within the region and internationally.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting research related to Agricultural Markets, Value Chain, and Regional Trade.
- Developing and overseeing individual work plans, coordinating research activities, and contributing to developing new ideas into proposals.
- Recruiting and managing national collaborators.
- Develop and manage research projects
- Publishing research in peer-reviewed publications.
- Provide strong research leadership in developing new ideas into proposals.
- Assist in identifying and cultivating funding prospects and developing funding strategies for project/programs.
- Developing research funding proposals and preparing donor reports.
- Leading/managing a country program.
- Liaise with donor & senior government stakeholders on projects
- Communicating research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policy makers, local partners)
- Creating links to external collaborators and groups
- Developing and monitoring of the program/ project budget.
- Contributing to the preparation of internal and external program reviews.
- Supervising the work of various Research support staff.
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Social Science, or closely related field plus at least 5 years of post-PhD research experience.
- Solid track record of Applied Economic / econometric research.
- Demonstrated ability to perform critical analyses of own & others’ research
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated research experience in policy analysis and policy recommendations.
- Demonstrated recognition in professional networks due to publications and other leaderships activities.
- Willingness to travel extensively as required
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
- Proven experience in developing, managing, and/or reporting on project budgets.
- Proven record of fundraising success for projects.
- Demonstrated strong experience effectively supervising research support staff.
- Ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team with diverse background
- Familiarity with agricultural and food policy issues in South and Southeast Asian countries.
- Familiarity with country and regional trade modelling.
- Capability and interest in policy dialogue with International NGOs and donor agencies
- Understanding of multi-sectoral program and policy design and implementation, and experience working with program implementers and evaluators.
- Experience and willingness to continue working with researchers from other social and biological sciences
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analysing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. IFPRI’s strategic research aims to foster a climate-resilient and sustainable food supply; promote healthy diets and nutrition for all; build inclusive and efficient markets, trade systems, and food industries; transform agricultural and rural economies; and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is integrated in all the Institute’s work. Partnerships, communications, capacity strengthening, and data and knowledge management are essential components to translate IFPRI’s research from action to impact. The Institute’s regional and country programs play a critical role in responding to demand for food policy research and in delivering holistic support for country-led development. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world and is a CGIAR Research Center.