Research Analyst I/II
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Assistant/Research Analyst I/Research Analyst II within the Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division (PHND). The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field and analysis experience in an international organization undertaking cutting-edge development research based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. This is a one-year, exempt, renewable appointment. Final position title will be based on experience.
Among other duties, the successful candidate will support senior research staff on activities related to the implementation of an action research project related to the financial inclusion of smallholder farmers, particularly, those in climate-change related hotspot zones of Bangladesh. The selected candidate will carry out tasks related to implementing partner (NGOs, MFIs and government bodies) selection and close coordination, survey implementation, evaluations and experiments.Interested candidates must have work authorization to work in Bangladesh.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the design and management of research projects and coordination with partners.
- Assisting with planning and running field operations related to survey collection, ensuring adherence to the research design, monitoring data quality, and supporting data analysis as needed.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of quantitative surveys, including questionnaire development and programming for CAPI, field team training and development of software applications for recording interview responses on tablet computers.
- Conducting literature reviews, preparation of tables and graphs to contribute to proposals, project deliverables, briefs, and papers.
- Organization, cleaning, management, and statistical/econometric analysis of large household data sets.
- As needed, assisting with the analysis of GIS data and linking that information to survey data.
- Assist in preparing large datasets for public access to promote transparency and openness in social science research.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Bangladesh.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus two years of relevant professional experience (acquired through an RA-ship or an independent research project, are strongly preferred) or Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- At the Research Analyst II level, Master’s degree plus minimum 3 years of relevant, post-Master’s work experience.
- Experienced in managing field research projects, including survey work, project implementation, and partner relationships.
- Excellent skills in programming in STATA and in managing household databases.
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods used in behavioral and development economics, particularly randomized controlled trials, and laboratory experiments.
- Excellent econometric skills on cross-section and panel data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in-depth statistical analysis and report the results.
- Demonstrated professional level of attention to detail evidenced by accurate and reproducible work.
- Experienced in conducting literature reviews of academic publications, research reports, etc.
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task as needed, consistently meet deadlines and manage time well
- Excellent interpersonal skills and to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Experience in survey design, questionnaire design, and conducting and supervising household surveys in developing countries.
- Proficient communication skills in Bangla language is strongly preferred
- Experience with data entry and CAPI software packages (CSPro, Survey CTO, Survey Solutions, Epi Info, etc)
- Field experience related to agriculture and value chains, is a strong plus.
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.