RESEARCH ANALYST I/II
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Research Analyst I (RA) for a full-time, one-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment in the Environment and Production Technology Division. This position is based at the IFPRI India office located in New Delhi, India. The successful candidate will provide support for designing and overall coordination of multidisciplinary and multistakeholder policy workshops, as well as research support with focus on participatory action research and qualitative data analysis in the context of natural resource management (NRM), particularly institutional issues related to agroecology. The RA will also play an important role in communications and capacity strengthening to build research partnerships with implementing organizations, apply research findings to policy and practice, and assist others to understand the implications of the research. The position focuses on work in India and involves collaborating with extended teams from other CGIAR centers under the Transformational agroecology across food, land, and water systems Initiative (Agroecology). Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in India.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Conduct participatory action research to map agroecological landscapes, practices, and key facilitators and barriers to desired changes in policies and practice.
- Help design and coordinate multidisciplinary and multistakeholder policy workshops with focus on agroecology and natural resource management (NRM).
- Help develop, manage, and facilitate technical workshops and other capacity strengthening activities on agroecology and NRM including participatory workshops and trainings for researchers, donors, implementing partners, and government officials.
- Co-author reports and publications.
- Interact with collaborators and project partners
- Train and supervise fieldwork of partners.
- Collect, manage, and analyze qualitative data (including qualitative protocol design, sampling & survey instruments).
- Conduct literature reviews & synthesis
- Reply to internal/external data requests
- Assist in developing research proposals under the guidance of supervisor and build partnerships with a variety of stakeholders to better understand evidence needs and priorities for collaboration.
- Present and discuss research projects with government officials, non-government organizations, research agencies and other interested parties
- Assist in the preparation of donor reports, blogs, policy notes, project briefs, technical guidance, presentations, talking points, etc.
- Participate in knowledge exchanges and remain current on agroecology, agriculture, and natural resource management academic literature, policies, and best practice.
- Other duties as assigned
- Research Analyst I: Bachelor’s Sociology, Anthropology, Gender Studies, Environmental Policy, Development Studies, Social Work, Public Policy, or a closely related field or Master’s degree in above mentioned fields.
- At Research Analyst II: Master’s degree in Sociology, Anthropology, Gender Studies, Environmental Policy, Development Studies, Social Work, Public Policy, or a closely related field or related fields plus minimum three years of post-master’s relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting fieldwork and coordinating/managing project activities in the field
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating/managing workshops bringing together various stakeholders
- Excellent qualitative research data collection skills and demonstrated ability to perform in-depth analysis of qualitative data and report the results
- Knowledge of agriculture, rural development, natural resource management, climate change, and/or environmental issues in India
- Demonstrated experience in effective interaction and coordination with collaborators and project partners.
- Ability to travel (approximately 30% of time)
- Excellent analytical mind and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct research.
- Experienced in conducting literature reviews of academic publications, research reports, etc.
- Demonstrated strong writing, speaking, and editing skills; ability to communicate to academic and non-academic audiences and tailor communications to the intended audience.
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal skills and to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task as needed, consistently meet deadlines, and manage time well
- Demonstrated professional level of attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and implement technical workshops and trainings
- Ability to present IFPRI and the research project to government agencies, non-government organizations, research agencies, academic units, and other institutions
- Experience using qualitative analysis software, such as ATLAS.ti or NVivo
- Experience in research proposal development and project management
- Familiarity with institutional issues (e.g., property rights, governance arrangements) in natural resource management, climate change, and rural development in developing countries, particularly in South Asia
- Experience leading capacity development activities, particularly designing and facilitating participatory workshops and trainings and developing technical guidance for practitioners, built on an understanding of audience and user needs
- Familiarity with NGOs, donors, and implementing organizations working on food security, rural development, natural resource management, and/or gender equality, and an understanding of their priorities and current thinking on best practices in these areas
- Knowledge of and background on agroecological transitions and policies
- Knowledge of and background on gender research in developing countries
- Experience managing and supervising qualitative data collection teams
- Demonstrated ability to develop terms of reference of collaborators and other partners involved in research
- Spoken and written Hindi and Telegu
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/stretch
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.