Research Analyst I
The Development Strategy and Governance Division of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Research Analyst. This is a full time one-year, renewable appointment. This position is based at IFPRI headquarters in Washington, DC. The RA will provide research support for quantitative studies on various topics related to public investment, political economy, gender and social inclusion, migration, agriculture-nutrition linkages, and individuals’ aspirations and attitudes. The RA will statistically analyze large and complex cross-sectional and panel datasets, prepare graphics and tables summarizing findings, write up results, co-author research papers and reports, prepare presentations, and present results.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform various tasks involving data cleaning and maintenance, coordination of data collection, and data analysis using Stata
- Conduct literature reviews and syntheses
- Assist in the drafting and editing of discussion papers, blogs, policy briefs, technical guidance, presentations, etc.
- Participate in knowledge exchanges and remain current on public investment, governance, gender, and agriculture academic literature, policies, and best practice
- Assist in the development of quantitative research methodologies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree plus two years of relevant professional experience or Masters degree in Economics, Political Economy, Political Science, Public Policy, Agricultural Economics, International Development, Applied Mathematics, or related field
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time
- Ability to multi-task, consistently meet deadlines, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills, including in providing regular updates on progress, proposing next steps, and communicating research findings through oral and written methods
- Strong willingness to learn as well as self-teach new technical skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct literature reviews, synthesize research findings, and draft policy briefs and research papers
- Familiarity with data management, processing, and analysis in Stata, and major identification strategies in econometrics
- Experience preparing research presentations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and editing skills
- Experience with developing papers and presentations using Latex
- Strong knowledge of and background in public investment, political economy, and gender research in developing and transition countries
- Experience in proposal development
- Willingness to travel internationally, if a need arose
Physical Demand & Work environment
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. IFPRI’s strategic research aims to foster a climate-resilient and sustainable food supply; promote healthy diets and nutrition for all; build inclusive and efficient markets, trade systems, and food industries; transform agricultural and rural economies; and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is integrated in all the Institute’s work. Partnerships, communications, capacity strengthening, and data and knowledge management are essential components to translate IFPRI’s research from action to impact. The Institute’s regional and country programs play a critical role in responding to demand for food policy research and in delivering holistic support for country-led development. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world and is a CGIAR Research Center.
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), a CGIAR Research Center, is an equal employment opportunity employer – F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.