Project Associate – Statistical Genomics
ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic and highly innovative Project Associate in Statistical Genomics to work in rice genetic improvement in a multi-disciplinary team comprising scientists from various disciplines. This position is required to conduct experiments on statistical genomics combining interdisciplinary areas of science, including statistics, mathematics, computer science, genomics, and bioinformatics. This position will be based at IRRI-SA Hub, ICRISAT Campus, Patancheru. The position is within the Rice Breeding Platform-South Asia Region. It will report to the Regional Breeding Lead – South Asia and is open to Indian nationals only.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science, improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers, and protecting rice-growing environments for future generations. For more information, visit www.irri.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more information, visit www.icrisat.org
- Perform analysis of NGS datasets falling statistical genetics such as Linkage mapping, genome wide association study (GWAS) from germplasm /bi-parental/multi-parental mapping populations for the desirable traits.
- Implement genomic and phenotypic datasets on various mathematical models from the perspective of predictive modelling and machine learning techniques with R and python packages.
- Explore the statistical ways to analyse, interpret and present from the data.
- Coordinate closely with the IRRI HQ team, IRRI-SA team, project partners, other NAREs collaborators
- Engage with ISARC to help build capacity in statistical genomics of NAREs partners
Qualifications and Experience:
- M. Sc in bioinformatics/computational biology/statistics/ mathematics / computer science with at least 1 year of post-MSc experience in relevant field
- Respectable publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals
- Knowledge of prediction from parametric and non-parametric models
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments
- Must have deep knowledge in association mapping models
- Experience in scientific programming in Python and R
- Excellent statistical knowledge and use of software and packages.
- Extensive experience in handling big datasets
This is a Consolidated Position for 32 months and renewable depending on the functioning of the incumbent, funding availability, and also the Institute’s ongoing requirement for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 18 May 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”