Print and Digital Publishing Specialist
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Application Deadline: 08 April 2022
Type of contract: 03-years fixed-term contract (Possibility to renew based on performance and budget)
Language(s) required: English (proficient/fluent writing and oral skills)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
WorldFish is an international, non-profit research and innovation organization reducing hunger, malnutrition and poverty across Africa, Asia and the Pacific. For over 45 years, our work on sustainable aquaculture and fisheries has improved the lives of millions of women, men and youth.
Fish and other aquatic foods grown in and harvested from oceans, lakes, rivers and ponds provide income for more than 800 million people and provide 3.3 billion with 20% of their animal protein intake. Our focus on sustainability makes sure that the way we produce and use these foods today means a plentiful future of generations to come.
Our evidence-based solutions range in scale from households to global policies and spans across six interlinked themes: nutrition, gender, climate, sustainability, economy and COVID-19.
We champion aquatic foods for healthy people and planet and believe that a sustainable blue planet of well-nourished children, women and men is within our reach.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Communications for impact are a critical element of our new strategy and seek to advance WorldFish’s global thought leadership in addressing critical sustainable development challenges (such as nutrition, climate change, gender and social inclusion, environmental sustainability, etc.) through research and innovation on aquatic food systems. Together with our strategic funding and implementing partners, we want to influence, develop, deliver and scale high-impact research and evidence-based innovations and policy recommendations that support vulnerable communities in low-and middle-income countries to meet their 2030 SDGs.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a stellar communicator with strong publication management and project management skills, excellent people relations and the incurable intellectual curiosity to always learn and push her/himself outside of the comfort zone. S/he is passionate about science and communications and has a knack for seizing opportunities. S/he has a proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and people across different regions and time-zones, as well different functions and disciplines. His//her results-driven work ethic and approach to constant learning and innovation sets the bar for others to deliver high-quality results time and again.
Reporting to the Interim Global Communications Lead, the Print and Digital Publishing Specialist will serve as the main liaison with science and research leads, project leaders, researchers, corporate functions units, country leads, country communications teams, donors, partners and WorldFish staff in general in providing high-level publication management support in publication planning, budgeting, scheduling, production and dissemination. S/he will lead on the production and delivery of WorldFish’s extensive portfolio of print and online publications from concept to dissemination. This will involve liaising internally with relevant project leaders and researchers, corporate functions, communications team as well as externally with production agencies, donors and partners. The successful applicant must be able to take ownership of a series of publications at one time with strong ability to review content edited by external sources, ensuring consistency in branding, messaging and design layout, and has excellent proofreading skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible in the following areas:
Print and Publication Management
- To oversee creation of WorldFish’s extensive portfolio of publications from concept to dissemination including managing the overall publication process from publication planning, budgeting, scheduling, resource management, production and dissemination of corporate publications and key project publications (print and online) undertaken by the Communications and Marketing department.
- To collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders, including researchers, project leaders, writers, consultants, designers and suppliers to develop strategic corporate publications that align with the organizational strategy and to ensure consistency of message across all communication channels.
- To provide coordination and backstopping support for the department corporate publication preparation and dissemination campaign (print and online).
- To act as first point of contact with consultants on communications consultancy contracts under the department including monitoring of outputs, deliverables and deadlines.
- To work closely with the digital communications specialist and writer to maximize a blended approach between print and digital publications.
Copywriting and Proofing
- To review all printed publications for consistency in branding, messaging, style, and quality across publishing of WorldFish publications.
- To liaise and source effectively with internal and external stakeholders a wide range of content ensuring the accuracy of the copy with the content owners, while ensuring WorldFish’s publications adhere to the CGIAR and WorldFish brand guidelines and support the CGIAR and WorldFish brand vision and messaging strategy.
- To oversee efficiently the proofreading stages of WorldFish’s publications to ensure amendments and corrections are effectively processed.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- To support Global Communications Lead in analysing the Communications and Marketing department’s publication workflows and processes; suggesting areas for improvement; and developing best practices.
- To support Global Communications Lead in ensuring effective management of publications pipeline tracking and monitoring, and ensure effective integration of publications pipeline planning with activities of the Communications and Marketing department.
- To support Global Communications Lead in preparing publication-related key performance indicators for the Center.
- To perform other official duties and special assignments which may be requested by supervisor.
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- Minimum a Bachelor Degree or undertaking a Master’s degree in Communications, Media, Journalism, Public Relations, Graphic Design or similar relevant field.
- Professional certifications in the areas of strategic communications, digital marketing, project management, coaching and facilitation would be an additional asset.
- 5 years hands-on professional experience in management level support or professional publishing group in an academic, commercial, non-profit or business setting.
- Minimum three years’ experience in terms of managing print publication production process from planning, scheduling, pre-production and post-production appreciated.
- High-proficiency in English (written and oral) and excellent interpersonal communication skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels.
- Excellent ability to work independently and remotely with proven ability to effectively establishing priorities and juggling multiple and competing demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking skills and ability to work cooperatively in a project mode to contribute across different teams as well as meeting with the tight deadline.
- Well-developed conceptual and analytical skills with a proven ability to provide innovative thinking in developing and implementing key projects and problem solving.
- Proficiency to work in a fast-paced environment, possess time-management skills in high-stress situations and able to meet the tight deadline.
- Proficiency in all aspects of MS Office software and basic competence in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are essential requirements.
- Familiarity with HTML email management contact systems and digital publication processes.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal integrity.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds, disciplines and cultures within a research institute, development agency, corporate or international organization, and interacting with public, private and philanthropic stakeholders.
- Good understanding of key issues related to the global agricultural research agenda (especially in relation to fisheries, aquaculture, blue economy and the ocean space), the 2030 Sustainable Development goals, and developing country priorities, as well as understanding of the policy, advocacy and innovation environment.
Salary & Benefits
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position and WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, 15% employer provident fund contribution, paid leave and others.
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. Interviews are expected to begin in April/May 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the virtual interview session. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of three (03) years fixed-term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 08 April 2022:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate for this role referring to the key responsibilities and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following categories: direct supervisor, internal peer, and/or direct report. None of the referees will be contacted without your permission.
The screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.