Principal Scientist and Head – ICRISAT Development Centre
ICRISAT invites applications for the post of Principal Scientist, Head of ICRISAT’s Development Centre. This position is based at ICRISAT Headquarters, Patancheru, Telangana, India.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
Headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India ICRISAT has two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
ICRISAT is looking for a mid-career scientist with a proven record in research for development who can leverage partnerships and innovations to achieve large-scale impact on farmers’ fields to improve livelihoods. The position is open at the Principal Scientist level as a leader with a responsibility to mobilize resources for undertaking development research in Asia with the support and guidance of the Research Program Director, Asia. The candidate will also have the responsibility to guide and supervise a team of dedicated Natural Resources Management and Social Scientists delivering integrated solutions for sustainable development through increased productivity and profitability for smallholder farmers. The selected person will be responsible for building partnerships for impact as well as resource mobilization from state and national governments as well as private and public corporates. The incumbent must be able to work across and build teams. S/he should have excellent soft skills to liaise with the funding agencies along with the professional skills to guide and supervise a team of dedicated NRM and Social Scientists.
- To guide a multidisciplinary team of NRM and social scientists undertaking basic as well as development research within ICRISAT’s Development Centre (IDC) based at Patancheru, India.
- To mobilize financial resources for the institute to translate its research products, technologies and innovations in to large scale impacts through development research.
- The person must have excellent understanding of the subject of Science of Delivery and be able to comprehend the impact pathway from discovery to proof of concept to pilot testing to outcomes and impacts.
- Person should have excellent skills to build teams and partnerships needed for achieving impact as well as for raising the resources needed to support a large team of scientists.
- Must be able to handle all reporting needs of large development research grants along with demonstrated administrative skills.
- The position involves duty travel and willingness to deliver the needed information to all the concerned including donors.
- The successful candidate should have a proven record of accomplishment of guiding a large multidisciplinary team of scientists, raising the required financial resources through project grants along with ability to deliver desired impacts.
- Masters in agricultural science and Ph. D. in Agronomy/Soil Science/related NRM subject with a minimum of 15 years’ experience after completing Ph.D.
- Proven record of accomplishment of guiding a successful multidisciplinary team of scientists for development research.
- Experience of mobilizing needed resources and successful handling of large grants supporting development research
- Skills to build the teams of scientists, ability to work with development agencies such as NGOs, government line departments, farmers organizations and small farm holders is essential.
- Should be sensitive to issues of equity and gender with demonstrated ability to lead projects aimed at improving livelihoods of the rural poor; have a strong background of scientific thinking needed for planning, execution, monitoring and publishing results.
- Good presentation skills and demonstrated ability to convene partners, funding agencies and policy makers.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with a competitive salary and benefits package payable in US Dollars. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 30 November 2019, with a response to the selection criteria, their latest resume and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short- listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer