Postdoctoral Fellow – Climate and Policy
- Published on
The International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) seeks applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow to work on the project “Enabling institutions and policies for sustainable climate change governance in agriculture” jointly managed with the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) based at ICRISAT West & Central Africa Office, Bamako – Mali.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa (www.icrisat.org). With its partners, ICRISAT helps empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT West & Central Africa Program, in partnership with research and development institutions in West & Central Africa, develops and promotes technologies for sustainably enhancing agricultural productivity with a focus on sorghum, pearl millet and groundnut as well as crop-livestock integration under a changing climate.
CCAFS aims to address the increasing challenge of global warming and declining food security on agricultural practices, policies and measures through a strategic collaboration between CGIAR and Future Earth (http://ccafs.cgiar.org). Through this collaboration, CCAFS brings together strategic research in agricultural science, development research, climate science and earth system science, to overcome the threats that a changing climate poses to food security, rural livelihoods, and the environment.
The above-mentioned project aims to understand complex interactions between socio-economic factors, political developments and climate change in order to generate policy recommendations that can be integrated into national agricultural development plans, strategies and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will report to the CCAFS Regional Program Leader and the ICRISAT Theme Lead of ‘Systems Analysis for Climate-Smart Agriculture (SACSA)’ and will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists. She/he will be required to perform the following duties:
- Contribute to the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of novel projects that promote the integration of climate-smart agriculture (CSA) into national agricultural development policies, plans, programs and strategies such as the nationally determined contributions (NDC) and national agricultural investment plans (NAIPS) of West African countries;
- Contribute to monitoring agricultural contributions to the NDCs and NAIPs of CCAFS priority countries in West Africa (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Niger and Senegal);
- Contribute to strategic research at the science-policy interfaces of climate change, agriculture and food security to influence policy formulation that permits the scaling up of science-evidenced CSA options, integration of climate concerns into national policies and enactment of plans and policies that increase investment toward improved access to diverse and locally acceptable diets;
- Contribute to knowledge generation on science-policy interactions and participate in national and sub-regional conferences/meetings/workshops, prepare policy briefs on CCAFS research and training activities for dissemination to policymakers;
- Perform any other duties s/he will be assigned.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- PhD in agricultural science, environmental science, social science, policy or related discipline with experience in designing, planning, implementing and monitoring projects in agricultural/environmental policies;
- Knowledge of the geopolitical context of the West African region;
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations;
- Excellent communication skills in French and English;
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills, and ability to write synthesis reports as well as to publish in peer reviewed international journals;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks with diverse multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- Willingness to travel widely and work with the governments of the West African region.
- Experience in promoting South-South cooperation in science policy and capacity building at the national and regional level is desirable.
This is a Post-Doctoral Fellowship [PDF] position for a period of two years, extendable by 1 year depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 01 May 2019 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer.