Post-Doctoral Fellow – Value Chain modelling
ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF)– Value Chain modelling to develop participatory system dynamics model of priority smallholder agricultural value chains for scenario analysis and decision support to enhance their climate resilience. This work will be undertaken as part of the World Bank supported project ‘Accelerating Impacts of CGIAR Climate Research in Africa (AICCRA)’ to being implemented by ICRISAT in Senegal. The position will be based in ICRISAT office, Dakar, Senegal and will be reporting to the ICRISAT’s value chain activity lead based at Patancheru, India and to the project Coordinator based in Dakar, Senegal.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. In WCA, ICRISAT has its regional hub in Mali and country programs in Niger and Nigeria. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
AICCRA is a three-year World Bank funded project and led by ICRISAT in Senegal that envisions increasing access for agriculture research and extension service providers in Africa to knowledge, technologies, and decision-making tools relevant to enhancing the resilience of agriculture and food systems in the face of climate change. The project aims to implement the sub-regional component of AICCRA in WA through building multi-actor partnerships of existing scientific and educational networks and centers in order to achieve outcomes through engaging with individual partners at country level. Specifically, this project will enhance the capacity of national and regional public institutions and private sector (e.g., input providers, ICT companies, agri-businesses, media) to develop delivery models for climate services and for CSA knowledge, approaches and tools to support climate smart value chains harnessing intra-regional and south-south synergies. AICCRA builds on the valuable experience of CCAFS which brings together the world’s best researchers in agricultural science, climate science, environmental and social sciences to identify and address the most important interactions, synergies and trade-offs between climate change and agriculture. CCAFS is structured around four closely inter-linked global research flagships: Climate-smart agricultural practices; Climate information services and climate-informed safety nets; Low-emissions agricultural development; and Policies and institutions for climate-resilient food systems. For more information visit www.ccafs.cgiar.org.
- Implementing research project on smallholder agricultural value chains in the context of market and climate risks.
- Assess climate risk on different nodes of the selected agricultural value chains
- Apply systems dynamics approaches and participatory group model building to facilitate, from a whole value chain perspective (producers, intermediaries, processors, consumers…) the understanding of tradeoffs and comparative advantages under different intervention scenarios and market diversification strategies to build climate resilience in crop-livestock value chains.
- Identifying agri-business opportunities while supporting climate smart agricultural value chains.
- Contribute to specifying business models to empower women and youth, aimed at bringing about monetary and non-monetary benefits to smallholder crop-livestock farmers and consumers.
- Develop survey instruments, organize training programs and supervise data collection, organize, clean, process, and analyze household data sets and other quantitative data.
- Support resource mobilization and the development of winning research proposals, contribute to report-writing and the publication of scientific articles in peer reviewed international journals.
- Support activities related to communications and knowledge mobilization (media engagement, stakeholder consultations, writing blogs, preparation of research and policy briefs).
- Contribute to the fulfillment, in a timely and accurate fashion, of the various mandatory reporting requirements for the ongoing related ICRISAT activities in Senegal.
- Travel, as needed, to field sites or internationally.
- PhD or doctoral degree in agricultural economics, or relevant discipline, ideally with a focus on value chains linking smallholder farmers and markets with 1-4 years of experience post Ph.D.
- Proven post-graduate research experience in analyzing and modelling value chains including systems dynamics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Experience in resilience analysis and understanding of agricultural development pathways
- Strong written and oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to conduct clear presentations and prepare written reports
- Experience with African smallholder agriculture and business development services an advantage
- Strong programming experience, analytical and quantitative skills, and demonstrated experience with value chain modeling an advantage
- Highly motivated and self-driven candidate, with good interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in a diverse, multidisciplinary environment
- Proven publishing experience in the relevant field, outstanding writing skills in English
- Knowledge of econometrics and software like STATA and R, relevant modeling software an advantage
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams (including community researchers)
- Knowledge of French language
This is a Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF) position for two years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 06-February-2021, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer