Post-Doctoral Fellow – Cropping Systems Agronomist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated PDF Cropping Systems Agronomist, to work in the Sustainable Agrifood Systems program.
The position will be based at CIMMYT office in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Work closely with CIMMYT staff and supervise the day-to-day management of agronomic research programs focused on sustainable intensification in southern Africa
- Oversee and monitor the management of high-quality long-term trials, both on-station and on-farm, to study effects on system productivity, soil quality, water and nutrient use efficiencies, and pest and disease dynamics.
- Install, manage, and supervise state of the art soil-, water- and plant monitoring equipment and tools
- Spearhead data synthesis and analysis from large available dataset from regional conservation agriculture long-term trials
- Provide practical training to local researchers and extension agents on managing agronomic research programs including promotion and research backstopping for the effective adoption of improved and more sustainable cropping systems.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with diverse actors, including national agricultural research programs and advanced research institutes, so that expertise and advanced technologies from the latter reach farmers’ fields.
- Assist in surveys, farmer-to-farmer exchange, and study tours to facilitate widespread adoption of sustainable intensification technologies
- Communicate research results to diverse audiences, including scientists, change agents, policy makers, the media, and farmers.
- Help develop new SI initiatives in the region and elsewhere.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- D. in Agronomy, Soil Science, or a closely related field
- Considerable practical agricultural experience, including experience with on-farm research and farm equipment.
- Experience with adapting agricultural practices to local biophysical and socioeconomic conditions.
- Strong record of high-quality scientific publication and experience in translating research results into bulletins and training materials.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Strong expertise in R and related open-source software and packages.
- High proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environments and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to spend considerable time away from home.
- Commitment to advances in farm productivity and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22123_ Post-Doctoral Fellow – Cropping Systems Agronomist.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, May 20th, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.