Post-Doc/Associate Scientist – Molecular Pre-Breeder
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated and results oriented Molecular Pre-Breeder to join a successful wheat pre-breeding team.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Mexico. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to Mexico is delayed due to COVID 19.
- Apply major-gene markers routinely in parental and progeny screening
- Use marker assisted and/or genomic selection at appropriate stages of pre-breeding pipelines (for yield potential, heat and drought adaptation) to assist stacking of complementary physiological and agronomic traits
- Use extensive trial data to better understand the bases of genome x environment interactions
- Use forward and reverse genetic approaches to dissect and improve knowledge and application of physiological traits
- Conduct GWAS and QTL analyses and establish marker validation for breeding application
- Interact closely with wheat pre-breeding team and collaborate with all members of the physiology team
- Contribute to collaborative research with external partners
- Contribute to technical reports for donors
- Publish research findings in peer reviewed journals routinely
- Contribute to general duties associated with field and lab operations of the Wheat Physiology Group
- Collaborate effectively with other Global Wheat Program and CIMMYT scientists as appropriate
- Interact with CIMMYT trainees and visitors
- National and international travel as required
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role (e. g. supervision)
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD degree in relevant discipline
- Marker-assisted selection
- Genomic selection
- Quantitative Genetics
- GWAS and QTL analysis
- Advanced statistics and Bioinformatics
- Scientific publication & presentation skills
Fluency in English
- Advanced computational skills, including R statistical language
Desirable skills and experience
- Marker application and development
- Genome x environment analysis
- Gene discovery/cloning
- Field and greenhouse-based crop research
- Crop Physiology
- Crop simulation modelling
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Critical and Creative Thinking, Communication and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21124_Molecular Pre-Breeder. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, June 18th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.