Mechanization Support Specialist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated and results oriented Mechanization Support Specialist to support an initiative in Africa and India, where CIMMYT is supporting the GIZ Green Innovation Centers (GIC) reach its objective in mechanization “Contribute to employment promotion and income increase for 240,000 smallholder households and 1,000 SMEs”. CIMMYT provides technical advice and support to:
- The members of the cross-country working group (WG) on mechanization of the global programme GIC
- The project staff and partners of the GIC country projects
- The members of the steering committee of the global programme GIC
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to Ethiopia is delayed due to COVID 19.
- Maintenance and further development of the already existing expert database on mechanization.
- Cooperation with the steering unit of the global programme and provide support and advice in the event of enquiries from the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Bundestag (German parliament) and other relevant parties.
- Support for the development and implementation of training measures.
- Support the preparation of semi-annual reports on mechanization activities in all GIC country projects of the global programme.
- Support the organization & follow up and documentation of GIC countries cross country expertise and experience exchange between themselves according to their interest and priority based on existing knowledge exchange and matchmaking matrix.
- Support consultancy screening requests by GIC country projects based on CIMMYT mechanization expert database.
- Communication and knowledge management, including the set up and maintenance of a repository of capacity development materials on sustainable intensification technologies.
- Assist in the Capacity Development (CD) strategy and its implementation in collaboration with partners.
- Take part and contribute to the organization of virtual and live WG meetings in partner countries and in Germany.
- Perform other tasks and support project staff as needed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc in agriculture, nutrition & food security; administrative, social, environmental, or political sciences, development cooperation, capacity development, agricultural extension, economics; communications, business management, IT, geography and vocational education or any other relevant field.
- At least 2 years’ proven professional experience in project management or in one of the above academic background in a developing country context.
- Solid understanding of agricultural development, research for/in development cooperation and processes.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to cooperate and take on responsibility and cope well under pressure.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to work in different cultural contexts, with awareness of cultural sensitivities and processes in Africa, India, and Germany.
- Working language in English and French, and potentially in German as well. Excellent English writing skills.
- Demonstrate a passion for international research for development.
- Computer literate, including ability to use programs such as Word, Excel and Power Point and being able to set up an online database of training materials.
- Understanding of database structure and development to track scaling and for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Experience with ICT and e-learning in agriculture would be a plus.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21118_Mechanization Support Specialist – SIP. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, March 25th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.