Managing Editor (19-92)
Location: Lima Lima Peru
The International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for a highly motivated experienced managing editor to lead its publishing and content dissemination. A dynamic well-organized communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, the ideal candidate will think across publishing platforms and experiment with new forms of storytelling. S/he will be an astute judge of what communications best suit what audiences and purposes, scrupulously maintain high standards of accuracy, and both inspire others and be inspired by their ideas.
About the role:
This position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the Head of Communications. The overall goal of CIP Communications department is to support the mobilization of resources by increasing visibility and understanding of CIP’s mission, vision and impact globally across a diverse set of stakeholders. The successful candidate will manage a small team of design professionals and coordinate the work of a cadre of content producers to develop and disseminate CIP outputs, including annual reports, reports, brochures, multimedia materials and more.
- Lead the development and monitoring of the editorial and publishing strategy to ensure quality and standards appropriate for CIP outputs.
- Strengthen the delivery of effective workflows for the production and dissemination of CIP outputs through the development of relevant policies and procedures and oversight of the process, ensuring consistency of style, production quality and suitability for audiences.
- Identify and maintain a cadre of high-quality writers, editors, proofreaders and multimedia content producers.
- Manage the preparation of the CIP Annual Report, including story selection and messaging, writing and editing, supervision of consultants, and providing direction for print and web versions of the report.
- Oversee the development of high-impact multimedia content (video, audio, infographics, data visualizations) for use by research leaders, senior management, fundraisers, etc. in promoting CIP’s work to its target audiences.
- Work closely with scientists to synthesize research outputs through high quality writing and editing into a variety of formats for multiple audiences—such as outcomes stories—demonstrating the case for investment in CIP.
- Supervise the maintenance of the style and branding guides for CIP communications material.
- Support CIP participation in high-level events, developing communications plans and coordinating the production and dissemination of targeted content on CIP channels.
- Leverage the capacities of partners to raise awareness of CIP objectives and outcomes.
- Act as a mentor and coach to communications staff, especially those with writing and editorial roles.
- Contribute to the CIP-wide communications community of practice, sharing and communicating work updates and lessons, participate in department learning, reviewing and planning activities and ensure that these activities follow the center’s standards and agreed channels.
What are we looking for?
- Preferably Master’s degree in Communications or a related field with 7 years of international experience. Or a bachelor’s degree with 10 years of progressive international experience in similar research and/or development organizations.
- Experience in communications, information/knowledge management, public awareness or publishing, ideally in an international development and/or a scientific setting experience.
- Experience engaging with communications ‘clients’ and partners and delivering products and services in busy and time-pressed environments.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of communications strategies.
- Experience in contributing to the development and implementation of communications at an organizational level and engaging with multidisciplinary teams across diverse locations and in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated people management and team building skills.
- Demonstrated experience translating complex information into various formats and messages for diverse audiences.
- Superb written communication skills in English, with a knowledge of Spanish preferred.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references (3 recently supervisors). Screening of applications will begin on August 24, 2019 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted