Legume Seed Systems Specialist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position of Legume Seed Systems specialist, to work in the Southern African region to work in the Sustainable Agrifood Systems program.
The position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia, or Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Collaborate with relevant public and private sector institutions, contribute to deploying and scaling up climate-resilient food and feed legume crops in Southern Africa (initially focusing on Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania food production systems).
- Provide technical support to seed companies, NGOs, and NARS in designing and implementing seed road maps for scaling and promoting food and feed legume crops.
- Work with Gender Lead to ensure gender- and market-responsive seed systems interventions and extension approaches for enhancing livelihoods, including demonstration of new varieties to generate demand and capacity building of local institutions.
- Support sustainable intensification practices that promote soil health in climate-resilient food and feed legume crop production.
- Promote and manage various rural development and innovation models around extension/seed system/climate innovative technologies engaging institutions, change agents, and stakeholders.
- Lead the development of approaches for promoting seed entrepreneurship amongst women and youth.
- Engage with Knowledge agencies, training institutions, and experts for stakeholder capacity building and strengthening the partnership.
- Lead the collection and dissemination of high-quality seed producibility data to seed companies, NGOs, and community-based organizations to produce certified seed of climate-resilient legume and cereal cultivars and complementary food and feed legume crops in Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania.
- Document the work through high-quality technical reports that demonstrate project impacts.
- Work with and support project and program economists to implement a broader social science research agenda related to seed system strengthening, seed marketing, market intelligence, agri-business, and end-user preferences in the region.
- Contribute to the positioning of CIMMYT as a thought leader in debate related to legume and cereal seed systems development through high-level publications and presentations.
- Engage local stakeholders (NARS, seed companies, CGIAR breeding teams, NGOs) on strategies, policies, and research to address bottlenecks in legume and cereal systems in Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania.
- Support regional efforts to mobilize resources to expand the R4D agenda on seed systems and related work areas.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Crop Science, Breeding, Seed Systems, or any relevant field.
- 10 years of experience (or more) in international agriculture development.
- 10 years (or more) working on seed systems interacting with the private sector.
- Proven record of working in Southern African food systems, specifically on seed systems strengthening.
- At least 10 years in project management or a related role, focusing on donor relations, reporting, and fundraising.
- Expert knowledge of Seed Systems in Southern Africa.
- Long-term experience working with private sector seed companies and advisory services.
- Evidence of policy support and high-level government engagement in Seed Systems development.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem-Solving and Decision-making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking, and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS23115_Legume Seed Systems Specialist.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, April 7th, 2023. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.