Junior Legal Counsel
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Junior Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Unit of CIMMYT. The Junior Legal Counsel will support for the Contract Life Cycle Management (development, drafting, review, negotiation, amendment and release, quality control, and archiving) of a wide array of agreements entered by CIMMYT with its national and international (private and public) partners and service providers, globally.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support of the Contract Life Cycle Management consisting of drafting, review, negotiation, amendment, release, quality control, management, contracts, and agreements entered into by CIMMYT with national and international (private and public) entities.
- Control and manage the archive of contracts, documents, and agreements related to CIMMYT’s research and institutional/corporate activities.
- Conduct online research in international, regional, and local Intellectual Property databases (including patent and trademark resources).
- Support the curation of agreements and other document databases.
- Maintain a high level of support for stakeholders requiring input, search, and update data and information.
- Research and analyze laws, regulations, and procedures to provide legal support concerning institutional in the context of all legislation arising from different legal frameworks.
- Represent the Legal Department and CIMMYT before different authorities and forums.
- Manage and track a high volume of tasks and projects.
- Draft legal correspondence, memos, meeting minutes and other documents as necessary.
- Participate in the optimization of processes for legal services processes and guidelines.
- Ensure proper follow up of entrusted matters, tracking these in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used to prepare the progress update to the relevant areas.
- Update the annual work plan document with input from task owners.
- Perform other related tasks within the job level as may be requested by the immediate supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- The selected candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Laws, a Masters Degree/LL.M. in Corporate, International or IP Law are desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in similar roles or activities. Additional experience or knowledge in private and public sector industry related to agricultural R&D, biotechnology is a plus.
- Excellent organizational, writing, research, and communication skills, including the writing and communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts to lay (non-legal) stakeholders.
- Advanced level of English. English will be tested, and the candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe software. Experience with ticketing systems software is desirable.
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Customer Orientation, Time Management, Flexibility/Adaptability, Achievement Orientation.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M21129 Junior Legal Counsel. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, February 26, 2021. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Perez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.