Junior Communications Consultant – EiB
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding (EiB) Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is recruiting a Junior Communications Consultant. EiB supports breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia and Latin America to adopt best practices and technologies to improve rates of genetic gain and variety turnover, for impact on food and nutrition security, livelihoods and climate change adaptation. Along with EiB’s work, the consultant will focus on supporting and promoting the Crops to End Hunger (CtEH) initiative. CtEH is a CGIAR initiative to accelerate and modernize the development, delivery and widescale use of a steady stream of new crop varieties.
EiB works across the CGIAR to support the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. EiB is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
In the 20th Century, crop breeding drove tremendous gains in profitability and food production that fed a rapidly expanding world population. Breeding now offers unique opportunities to mitigate climate change and to help smallholders in developing economies to adapt to climate shocks, while meeting the rising demand for food.
The Junior Communications Consultant is an entry-level position to be based remotely for the initial weeks or months of the assignment, depending on COVID-19-related travel restrictions. Once travel is approved, the Consultant will be based in the CIMMYT’s global headquarters in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City.
Under the guidance and supervision of EiB’s Communications lead, the Junior Communications Consultant will provide administrative support to the communications team and develop/write/edit communication products related to EiB and CGIAR research activities and partner collaborations, targeting a wide range of audiences.
- Social media and website management: (approx. 35% of Consultant’s time)
- Ensure CtEH is promoted and donors are engaged and acknowledged
- Manage EiB’s social media accounts, draft posts and identify content and images for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Develop/contribute to campaigns
- Track and document KPIs for social media and website traffic
- Lay out Email and MailChimp newsletters, surveys etc.
- Upload content to EiB website, including news, blogs, events
- Maintain site through editing and refreshing contents.
- Curate content to cgiar.org and other platforms
- Content: Writing, editing, designing, or supporting products that profile the achievements and announcements of CtEH/EiB such as: (approx. 40% of time)
- News stories, blogs, tools, and other material
- Fact sheets, reports, booklets, forms, templates
- Multimedia products such as infographics, photo blogs, audio/video
- PowerPoint presentations
- Webinar, event, and meeting support: (approx. 15% of time)
- Support webinars on CtEH breeding program improvement and related issues with promotion, technical hosting, potential on-air hosting, summary stories etc.
- Developing or improving program presentations and outreach materials
- Participate in planning, material development and logistics for occasional conferences and workshops
- Provide on-site event support, and/or undertake field visits, locally and globally, dependent on travel restrictions and team need
- Other duties:
- Serve as the communications point person for CtEH, delivering products and messages that highlight CtEH principles and achievements
- Participate in developing and implementing communications strategies (including associated workplans) in support of specific activities and outputs
- Proofread EiB products
- Contribute to reports
- Maintain tracking grids, including communications products, KPIs, event calendar
- Other duties dependent on consultant’s skills / interests and program needs
- Early career graduate from Bachelor’s or Master’s program in communications, journalism, or marketing. Or from a scientific field, but with communications experience
- Knowledge of, or interest in, breeding science, agriculture, agricultural development, environmental issues and/or international development is a plus
- 1-3 years communications experience in the workforce and/or through university or volunteering
- Fluency in English with strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Graphic design, photography, video or other media skills are a plus
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, web applications, and social media
- Skills with online communications platforms such as Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, Drupal, SPARK, etc. are a plus
- International experience and/or interest in international affairs is a plus
- Organized and very detail oriented
- Proactive, good interpersonal and teamwork skills, and an ability to work independently
- Openness to doing both routine and creative communications tasks
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and decision making, Communication and Teamwork
The ideal candidate will be able to commit to at least one year. This is an entry-level position. Initially the consultant may work remotely, but as soon as COVID-19 travel restrictions permit, the position will be based in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City.
CIMMYT offers Junior Consultants a modest monthly stipend paid in US dollars, a housing allowance, and an airline ticket to and from Mexico. CIMMYT will assist in obtaining necessary travel documents, including a visa. Transportation will be provided, depending on the availability of seats, on the CIMMYT bus, to and from Mexico City or Texcoco. CIMMYT staff live in Texcoco, Mexico City and other nearby locations. Office hours are generally 8a.m. to 5p.m., with some flexibility due to occasional morning, evening or weekend meetings or events.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21121_Junior Communications Consultant – EiB. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, May 17th, 2021. Applications must include a CV, cover letter two writing samples and contact information for two references. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the consultancy please contact Adam Hunt, at email@example.com For further information about the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.