IRS24114 Wheat Wide Crossing Scientist
CIMMYT is a cutting edge, non-profit, international organization dedicated to solving tomorrow’s problems today. It is entrusted with fostering improved quantity, quality, and dependability of production systems and basic cereals such as maize, wheat, triticale, sorghum, millets, and associated crops through applied agricultural science, particularly in the Global South, through building strong partnerships. This combination enhances the livelihood trajectories and resilience of millions of resource-poor farmers, while working towards a more productive, inclusive, and resilient agrifood system within planetary boundaries.
For more information, visit cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT seeks an outstanding scientist to join our Global Wheat Program’s wheat improvement team, responsible for developing and implementing an applied wide crossing program that contributes to developing superior wheat varieties with improved traits. She/he will build a world-class program, collaborating and networking with CIMMYT and external partners to integrate wide crossing research and products - novel and diverse genetic variability derived from wild species - into breeding programs.
- Develop germplasm with novel, beneficial genetic diversity for relevant traits using primary and secondary wheat gene pools, contributing to current and future CIMMYT and international wheat research community breeding efforts.
- Responsible for hands-on execution of wide crosses addressing traits and project objectives co-defined and prioritized with the improvement teams. Activities require fine-tuning pollination timing, synchronizing reproductive structures, and conducting genetic compatibility assessments.
- Develop and execute a strategy in partnership with other international centers of excellence to explore and use novel diversity in the progenitor genomes of hexaploid wheat by producing synthetic wheat lines with various ploidy levels.
- Incorporate state-of-the-art technologies to enhance efficiency and reduce costs of wide crossing activities.
- Contribute to pre-breeding activities to transfer selected translocations into CIMMYT elite lines, working closely with breeders.
- Lead, manage, and supervise laboratory, glasshouse/screenhouse, and field operations, including planting, crossing, field selections, and seed management, while supervising and guiding associated staff.
- Publish research results in international, refereed scientific publications, and lead and contribute to fundraising efforts.
- PhD in plant breeding, genetics, cytogenetics, or highly relevant field.
- Experience in wide crossing, cytogenetics, C-banding, chromosome identification, induction of translocations, embryo rescue, and/or amphiploid management is desirable; and/or
- Experience in wheat breeding and genetics, with passion for the use of genetic diversity and commitment to develop expertise in wide crossing.
- Understanding of applications of molecular breeding tools and techniques in breeding.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; Spanish is desirable.
- Ability and passion to work in multi-cultural, diverse teams and partnerships.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem-solving and decision-making, client orientation, negotiation and conflict resolution, communication, and teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.