IRS24111 Project Manager, Mechanization Activity
CIMMYT is a cutting edge, non-profit, international organization dedicated to solving tomorrow's problems today. It is entrusted with fostering improved quantity, quality, and dependability of production systems and basic cereals such as maize, wheat, triticale, sorghum, millets, and associated crops through applied agricultural science, particularly in the Global South, through building strong partnerships. This combination enhances the livelihood trajectories and resilience of millions of resource-poor farmers, while working towards a more productive, inclusive, and resilient agrifood system within planetary boundaries.
For more information, visit cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position of Project Manager, Mechanization Activity to work in the Feed the Future Zimbabwe Mechanization and Extension Activity. The Activity aims to establish mechanization service providers to increase farm and off-farm power supply to enhance smallholder farmers’ land and labor productivity, profitability, and income.
The location of this position will be CIMMYT-Southern Africa Regional Office in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- General Project Management of an ambitious smallholder mechanization project.
- Coordinate a large team including staff, consultants, interns, and students.
- Work with a team of International Scientists in project implementation.
- Ensure timely delivery of all relevant deliverables according to the project workplans and oversee financial management as per USAID and CIMMYT policies.
- Liaise with donors, project partners, and stakeholders, and respond to their requests as necessary, attend quarterly donor meetings.
- Develop progress reports, backstop weekly highlights, and coordinate their timely submissions.
- Lead the development of annual work plans and oversee project procurement and M, E&L.
- Build, develop, negotiate, and nurture partnerships with machinery suppliers, local manufacturers, banks and other financial partners, public and private sector organizations, CGIAR Centers, NGOs, academia, and others.
- Develop suitable contracting documents in collaboration with CIMMYT’s legal team and ensure timely and effective implementation of partnering agreements such as subgrants and consultancies.
- Prepare, attend, and coordinate field visits for partners and donors and organize workshops, trainings, and field meetings.
- Be the main point of contact for donors in the Activity.
- Represent the activity in all relevant meetings with government stakeholders.
- Perform any other duties required in furtherance of project activities and assigned by the Activity and Objective leads.
- MSc. or MBA in Agronomy/Agricultural Engineering/Mechanization/Agricultural Economics (a PhD would be a plus).
- At least seven (7) years of practical experience in managing multi-million-dollar projects (preferably smallholder mechanization projects).
- Strong knowledge of mechanization value and supply chains and business models.
- Experience with USAID-funded Feed the Future projects, ME&L, and reporting.
- High proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated experience with strong report writing skills.
- Record of high-quality publications and experience in translating research results into promotional (e.g., bulletins, booklets, leaflets, blogs, etc.) and training materials.
- Support and advance CIMMYT's research agenda and position it with key stakeholders and in meetings and fora.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environments and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to spend considerable time away from home.
- Demonstrated project leadership and management, team building and cohesion.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must Apply online for IRS24111_Project Manager, Mechanization Activity.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.