Intern - IT Support Engineer
- Published on
- Position: Intern – IT Support Engineer
- Location: Montpellier, France
- Duration: 6 months
The CGIAR System Organization is looking for an energetic and results-oriented intern who will work in partnership with the ICT Officer to strengthen the support capacity of the CGIAR System Organization ICT team. The intern will help to support the delivery of effective IT services and strengthen our current solutions portfolio.
Through its internship program, the CGIAR System Organization aims to enhance the intern’s educational experience through practical work assignments and the experience of working in an international organization and in a multicultural environment, thereby developing skills which will be useful for their career and future employment.
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR Centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector. These 15 Centers have close to 10,000 staff based in over 50 countries. The CGIAR System Organization, which is an international organization headquartered in Montpellier, France, provides governance to the CGIAR System in collaboration with the System Council and has about 40 staff. Please find more information at www.cgiar.org.
Under the supervision of the ICT Officer, the intern will assist in providing technical support and solutions to meet the ICT needs of the Organization, including the following key tasks:
- Participate in the maintenance of the Organization’s system components, including end-user hardware, software, applications, security components, servers, network, printers and mobile phones.
- Assist in ICT inventory management, disaster recovery testing and periodic security vulnerability assessments.
- Assist in providing end-user support for the Organization’s IT systems, platforms and products, and first level support for the Organization’s Enterprise Resource Planning system, including user accounts setup, access, and troubleshooting.
- Participate in staff on-boarding/off-boarding processes including preparation of equipment, software and user access for new starters, and update and maintenance of the IT assets database.
- Support the procurement and licensing process for IT equipment and services.
- Contribute to development and update of IT processes and procedures, ensuring they are properly documented.
- Assist in building and updating existing user manuals and training presentations, and providing user training on common business applications and use of systems.
- Perform research on new technologies which could be implemented within the Organization to better support staff, increase efficiency, strengthen information security or generate cost savings.
- Support and contribute to IT-related tasks or projects through the implementation of appropriate technologies and solutions.
To apply for this internship, applicants must be currently enrolled in a university undergraduate program or graduate school, or alternatively, recently graduated (within the past twelve months) with a degree in computer science. We are specifically looking for the following technical competencies:
- Knowledge of:
- Database architecture and programming languages
- Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Server
- Windows 10
- Customer service oriented with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to convey information clearly to users and grasp perceived difficulties
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. French professional proficiency is an advantage
- Integrity and confidentiality
- A fast learner who is pro-active and responsive
The closing date for applications is 20 May 2018. Please email your cover letter and CV as separate attachments to SMO-HR@cgiar.org.
All received applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Terms and conditions
The CGIAR System Organization is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an attractive and multicultural work environment that reflects the values of teamwork, gender equality, and respect for diversity. The intern will be eligible for a monthly stipend although s/he is expected to cover the costs of his/her transportation to Montpellier, housing and living expenses during the period of the internship, as well as making all arrangement for obtaining any necessary visas for entering the country. The intern must also cover and provide proof of medical insurance cover for illness and accidents.
Please note: this internship is not designed for work of a continuing nature, or to lead to a staff position and as such, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.