ILRI vacancy: Team leader – Publishing and Curation (closing date: 31 August 2018)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is recruiting a team leader for the institute’s publishing and curation work. The successful candidate will develop and implement editorial, production, publishing and curation strategies and practices. S/he will have a passion for science and/or development literature and work, a successful track record of managing a multicultural, multi-discipline publication unit, with a particular focus on scientific material, and have in-depth expertise in several of the disciplines required (web platforms, online and print publishing and knowledge management).
The Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) Unit at ILRI provides central leadership in communications, knowledge sharing and information dissemination services and expertise to ILRI researchers, the organization as a whole and its partners. The unit seeks to enhance ILRI’s effectiveness and outcomes through four main activities:
- Translate science-based practices into impact—by communicating research outputs with potential for development outcomes;
- Communicate evidence for wider influence—by engaging with decision-makers and other audiences;
- Link and connect people and knowledge to enrich collaboration, learning, interaction and exchange within ILRI and beyond;
- Access, organize and manage, document, publish, communicate and disseminate research knowledge, information and data, products and outputs for wide accessibility and use.
The CKM Publishing and Curation team plays essential roles in supporting ILRI to achieve its three main strategic objectives: changing practices, providing evidence for decision-making and building capacity in livestock-for-development work. The Publishing and Curation team includes web and design experts as well as editorial, publishing and knowledge management specialists. The team supports corporate, program and project activities across ILRI. The team comprises 12 staff based at ILRI’s principal campuses, located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Nairobi, Kenya.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
(1) Management and leadership
- Manage assigned staff, facilitating effective teamwork and good communication and undertaking performance review and planning
- Lead the publishing, curation and web teams, helping them to develop efficient and effective production systems and processes
- Mentor and coach Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) staff, especially those with writing and editorial roles
- Participate in institute-wide and strategic meetings as appropriate
- Actively contribute to the ILRI-wide communications and knowledge management community of practice and leadership groups, including developing and implementing strategies for those groups as requested or required.https://ilrijobs.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit.php
(2) Publishing, writing and editing
- Provide strategic leadership, including in development of strategies that ensure the institute’s writing, editing and publishing materials are of the highest standard and consistently adhere to the institute’s branding
- Support researchers in synthesizing their research outputs through high-quality writing and editing for publication in a variety of formats— from policy and impact briefings to short reports, backgrounders and booklets—to communicate research information and messages to ILRI’s diverse key stakeholders.
- Ensure the maintenance of style and branding guides for ILRI publications
- Maintain and manage a pool of excellent freelance writers, designers, editors, translators and proof-readers for both print and digital products
- Conceptualize, prepare and produce ILRI’s annual corporate report, calendar and other institutional products
- Ensure a functional on-line publication tool is available and accessible to ILRI teams.
(3) Web and digital publishing platforms
- Oversee the development and evolution of ILRI’s web- and blog sites in line with strategic goals and institute branding
- Ensure ILRI’s website content is appropriate, relevant and up to date
- Ensure each of ILRI’s individual blogposts is reviewed and meets international editorial standards
- Develop and monitor editorial standards across the institute’s digital platforms, ensuring consistency of style, branding, production quality and relevance to key stakeholder groups.
(4) Curation of ILRI materials
- Ensure all processes are in place so that ILRI materials are curated, tagged and readily accessible on the CGSpace respository and other appropriate platforms
- Oversee ILRI’s two main infocentres, in Addis and Nairobi, which maintain journal subscriptions, disseminate information on request and maintain working, co-working and meeting space for staff and visitors.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline e.g. communications, social sciences, development studies, etc.
- At least 10 years’ increasingly responsible experience in research or development publishing, editing, knowledge management or related areas
- Experience managing diverse teams across diverse regions
Post location: The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: The position level is 5A
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the director of ILRI’s People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ before 31 August 2018. The position title and reference number, TL/IPP/08/2018, should be clearly marked in the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI, visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal-opportunity employer.