ILRI vacancy: Interior Designer (Closing date: 24 March 2020)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Interior Designer to advise on aesthetic solutions for buildings and spaces and ensuring that they fulfil their purpose in terms of condition, safety, functionality and compliance with relevant standards
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Gather and obtain client/customer briefs and requirements, interpret and present for approval
- Plan, design, detail, and supervise interior works including materials, furniture, paint/colors, furnishings, joinery, fittings, light effects, ventilation, decoration, energy management and finishing/final facility outlook and ensure optimal space usage for new and existing buildings
- Prepare project presentations, models, including renders, 3Ds, and images for ease of client understanding
- Research, obtain and arrange for material samples, site visits and supplier due diligence
- Prepare Gantt charts, timeline schedule for projects, cost estimates for jobs and ensure design/work execution is done as per approved budget
- Supervise contractors to ensure construction is as per design and specifications
- Conduct and document regular facilities inspections, make proposals on upgrades or repairs
- Develop and maintain various databases and filing systems for drawings, works specifications and closed jobs
- Prepare relevant reports and reviews
- Perform any other related duties as may be required
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, interior design, art and design or relevant field
- Relevant professional certification
- Six years relevant experience in design and supervision of construction in relevant work environment
- Experience in using computer aided design (AUTOCAD, ArchiCAD) or other relevant design software
- Working knowledge of principles and practices of project management
- Contract management knowledge and experience
- knowledge, experience and/or certification in green building design, environmental management and sustainable development goals integration in design and construction
- Sound knowledge of health, safety and environmental regulations
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 14. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ before 24 March 2020. The position title and reference number REF: ID/03/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.