ICT Manager - Cairo, Egypt (Nationally Recruited Staff)
Icarda HR Team
Main purpose of position
The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Manager has the overall responsibility for the effective management of the ICARDA IT Department.
The IT Department ensures that ICARDA has a secure and fit-for-purpose IT infrastructure and provides effective and efficient ICT services to managers, employees and visitors in all ICARDA’s locations. The IT Department is responsible for the development and performance of ICARDA corporate IT infrastructure and applications (hardware and network management, communication software, ERP, CRM, support to website and social media). It also provides technical advice and support to the developments and use of IT tools and capabilities by research programs (GIS tools, Monitoring and Evaluation platform, field data collection, etc).
The IT core team is based in Cairo with external support contracted in certain locations. ICARDA is a decentralized organization and the IT team provides support to staff deployed in 17 countries. The ICARDA ICT Core Infrastructure is supported by the CGIAR (a community of 15 different research Centers) IT Shared Services Infrastructure and it operates fully on a cloud environment. The ICARDA ICT Manager is a member of the CGIAR IT Community of Practice.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary
Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
The ICT Manager will have the following key responsibilities:
Manage the ICT function
- Continually review and adapt IT services and infrastructure in the light of new technological developments to ensure it is fit for purpose and responsive to the specific needs of ICARDA;
- Proactively anticipate and plan for the implementation of the changes that may be necessary to maintain the effectiveness of the infrastructure; this may include investments, technology options, services delivery models, etc.;
- Convene the ICT Governance Group, ensuring proper process and documentation of its work as well as follow up of decisions;
- Convene the OCS (ICARDA’s ERP) Steering Group, ensuring proper process and documentation of its work as well as follow up of decisions;
- Make recommendations on policies, business processes and procedures as needed to align with the organization’s foreseeable needs, best practice, CG policy and practice, and external regulations and ensure full compliance within the organization;
- Ensure legal and contractual obligations relating to ICT services are met (e.g. data protection, safeguarding and licensing requirements);
- Maintain a disaster recovery plan and ensure appropriate back-up, information security and control procedures are in place;
- Develop the departmental workplan and budget in a collaborative manner, monitor progress and adjust plan as needed. Represent the IT function internally and externally, including with other CGIAR Centers;
- Facilitate periodic reviews of the IT function, including by Internal Audit;
- Effectively manage the outsourcing of communication activities as necessary.
Manage service delivery
- Manage and oversee the delivery of effective and efficient ICT services, including helpdesk, network and system operations, support requests and incident management and ensure high quality and performing services is provided;
- Manage the maintenance and upgrades of corporate systems and applications;
- Strengthen business intelligence and data analytics to support planning and decision making;
- Ensure that training sessions are provided to staff on appropriate ICT tools, software and services;
- Manage and support the telecommunications solutions across organization,
- Ensure the appropriate ICT assets, resources and services are allocated to users to satisfy their needs;
- Ensure that the level of client satisfaction is regularly measured and analyzed, and that improvements are implemented as may be required.
Manage assets, contracts and finances
- Ensure that ICT assets (hardware, software, licenses) are properly inventoried, managed and replaced;
- Prepare a long-term budget for IT capital and services;
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets, manage, monitor and control expenditures,
- Coordinate contractual arrangements with the CGIAR IT Office;
- Ensure that external providers are contracted appropriately and that their performance, including cost, is monitored and assessed regularly;
- Manage ICT security risks and put in place mitigating actions as may be required and report bi- annually to management through ICARDA’s risk register.
Lead and Manage the Cairo IT Team
- Organize the team optimally for effective delivery in all ICARDA offices;
- Lead the development of the team annual workplan and ensure all individual plans dovetail with the team plan, monitor progress of the plan and adjust as needed;
- Coach and supervise team members, provide constructive feedback and support their professional development;
- Set individual’s yearly workplans and performance objectives, monitor performance and conduct regular performance appraisals.
- Take on other responsibilities or tasks in coordination with the Director of Finance.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution with specialization in information technology or related discipline and additional coursework in business administration and management;
- A minimum of 8 years of professional ICT experience, including 4 years of progressive experience with a successful track record of leading and managing complex ICT projects or functions in large international or commercial organizations;
- Relevant experience in information systems and applications for enterprise resource planning,
- Relevant experience in ICT cloud infrastructures, platforms and services;
- Project management experience in managing geographically dispersed teams and projects in a matrix environment;
- Experience in monitoring and analyzing security risks, implementing multi-layer security architectures, and assisting in monitoring network security;
- Experience in the development and implementation of IT Policies, Processes, and Procedures,
- Knowledge of COBIT and/or ITIL frameworks.
- Ability to work effectively at both strategic and operational levels;
- Ability to plan and work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent activities;
- Experience in introducing new initiatives and change;
- Experience managing budgets and resources including contractors and consultants;
- Demonstrated leadership, management and coaching skills to motivate and develop the IT team;
- Very good communication (spoken, written and presentation) skills in English and Arabic;
- Ability to effectively present issues and resolutions to different levels in the organization;
- Capacity to maintain confidentiality with sensitive organizational information;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Desirable experience, skills and qualifications
- Additional project management or IT related professional certification.
- Experience within a research for development organisation.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is a nationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 16 January 2020. Applications will still be considered until the position is filled.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.