Genetic Resources Scientist (18-78)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Lima Lima Peru
seeking a motivated and experienced scientist to support in the management of ex situ clonal and seed collections and
deliver the commitments of our Biodiversity for the Future research program to
assure the safety and duplication of the germplasm collection.
About the role: The selected candidate will be
responsible for managing the reception and safe distribution of germplasm in
compliance with the treaty, accessing new germplasm, and management of genebank
information (database, etc) and associated research projects. The activities
covered by the candidate will be process intensive and require careful
personnel and budget management. Depending on the strengths and interests of
the position holder, contributions to other objectives of the program can be
considered such as assuming the role of acting wild potato curator. The candidate can plan and conduct related
research to improve the efficiency, characterization, utilization, and
conservation of the ex situ collection. The position reports to the Head of the Genebank and is based at
CIP’s headquarters in Lima, Peru. Some national and international travel will be
- PhD degree in Plant Sciences or related field.
- Familiarity with legal matters of genetic
resources such as intellectual property especially in relation to the International
Plant Treaty (ITPGRFA), Standard Material Transfer Agreements (SMTA), the
Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD), the Nagoya Protocol, and
international phytosanitary regulations.
- Tissue culture, thermotherapy, and/or cyro
- Capable and competent to negotiate germplasm
collection and distribution permits with responsible authorities.
- Demonstrated success in attracting research
funding and publishing research results.
- Team management experience.
- Excellent communications skills in English,
and Spanish proficiency are required.
- Great career opportunity in an international
- Salary is
internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with
- Comprehensive international insurance
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the
possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.