Financial Controller - Operations
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Financial Controller - Operations.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of the One CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food-secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA is looking for a talented, creative, and dynamic individual who will report to the Director of Finance and provide professional and administrative support to the directorate in preparation for the Annual Institute budget and projection. The successful candidate will oversee the accounting bookings and report to internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate will supervise the Payroll, Corporate Accounts, and Project Finance Units. The successful candidate will support the preparation of the monthly management accounts for the Institute and will be responsible for the management of annual external audits and financial reporting. The successful candidate will work with the new role of internal control to ensure internal controls are complied with.
· General management of Institute Financial Operations and Reporting.
· Prepare IITA Annual Financial Statement in line with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
· Prepare an accurate and timely medium-term financial plan.
· Prepare projections and annual budgets.
· Manage the Institute’s corporate accounts and payroll system.
· Monitor financial performance against budget to support the dynamic reallocation of resources according to priorities.
· Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Director of Finance and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
· Work with the Director of Finance to create a long-term strategy for the finance directorate by providing advice on issues, trends, and changes in the operating models and operational delivery.
· Assist in establishing yearly objectives and work plans for the workshops in the Finance Directorate.
· Advise the Director of Finance on long-term budget planning and cost management in alignment with the Institute’s strategic plan, considering limitations and changes in the funding environment, strategic growth opportunities and collaborations with external organisations.
· Work with the Head of Internal Audit and advise the Director of Finance on the integrity of the Institute’s investment policies and reporting and control procedures.
· Remain up to date on non-profit audits and financial best practices.
· Ensure compliance and maintain oversight for all accounting and operating activities.
· Lead the annual financial audits; review audit materials and prepare management responses to internal and external auditors.
· Manage stations’ finance and imprest system.
· Mentor and develop finance management teams, providing input on work allocation, training, troubleshooting, problem and conflict resolution, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
· Train accounting personnel and others on accounting controls and procedures.
· Provide financial support to TAAT Clearing House on budget, operations, and reporting.
· Provide management support to TAAT Clearing House on the expanded deliverables financed by BMGF.
· Provide financial and accounting support to the Business Incubation Platform (BIP) group for consolidation purposes.
· Participate in Grant Accounting Module development.
· Perform the corporate Account Manager’s role pending recruitment of replacement.
· Provide support to Account Payable administration and Vendors payment management.
· Act as Officer in charge during periods of absence of the Director of Finance.
The desired candidate should have a minimum of master’s degree/MBA in Finance and Accounting or any related fields from a reputable higher institution with recognized professional accounting certifications/licenses such as ACA, CPA, ACCA, etc.
· Minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience in core accounting, auditing, or finance function from a leading or well-structured accounting firm, preferably in a donor-funded not-for-profit international organization, and three (3) of which must be at a senior management level.
· Solid knowledge in financial and contractual management of large, complex donor-funded projects, preferably within the agricultural research arena.
· Excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, and team building skills.
· Relevant finance experience should include planning, forecasting, and enterprise financial systems with an emphasis on budgeting and financial reporting (with sound knowledge/hands-on experience of IFRS).
· Experience in working with a leading accounting firm of an international organization or multinational private sector company within a cross-cultural environment at a senior level.
· High level of proficiency in using Microsoft Office packages (Word, PowerPoint, and advanced-level user of Excel).
· Proficiency in at least one major enterprise management system (oracle, sun, platinum SAGE, etc.) and relevant computer applications.
· Experience in designing and implementing Oracle modules and other applications will be an added advantage.
· Ability and proven track record in leadership of small groups; experience as a manager of staff, team builder/leader; and ability as a manager of strategic relationships.
· High-level attention to details.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are essential, including the ability to set out coherent presentations and group interactions.
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria.
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Applications: Applications must include a cover letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relating to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, and names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, People and Culture. Please complete our online application form using this link: https://apply.workable.com/iita/#jobs
Closing Date: 2nd March 2024
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.