The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of SASAS Finance Officer for the USAID-funded Sustainable Agrifood Systems Approach for Sudan (SASAS) implemented in Sudan from October 2022 to September 2024. The goal of the SASAS project is to ensure smallholder farmers in important food production regions in Sub-Saharan Africa have the information and innovations needed, using market-based approaches, to maintain or increase food production to mitigate the impacts of the global food, fuel, and fertilizer price increases resulting from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The Finance Officer will keep accurate records of all daily transactions, and payment processing and prepare SASAS financial, treasury, and management accounting reports. The role will also provide financial and administrative support to colleagues and partners of the SASAS project.
The position is based in Khartoum, Sudan.
Cash Flow Projection, Monitoring, and Budget Execution
- Ensure timely preparation of a cash flow projection for the Sudan office with the Country Office Coordinator.
- Review and update cash flow statements with Country Office Coordinator and Program Managers and Program Administrators.
Payment Processing, Transaction Recording, and Documentation
- Coordinate country financial activities in constant coordination with CIMMYT and Finance functions.
- Scrutinize and support or initiate payment requests and processing ensuring proper support documentation is attached.
- Ensure proper numbering and filling of financial and accounting records.
- Ensure proper recording of financial transactions in the corresponding system.
- Generate monthly a record of all transactions entered during the month and ensure errors are corrected in time.
- Verify monthly consolidation and submission of monthly reports to HQ
- Facilitate independent work of auditors when undergoing an audit and prepare management responses to the auditor recommendations, in compliance with donor rules and regulations; ensure follow-up of auditor recommendations and
- Support hosting organization as necessary with timely submission of all direct and indirect tax requirements and ensure VAT recovery with the respective tax authorities.
Payables and Receivables Analysis and Travel Legalizations
- Conduct a monthly review of balances with a view to regularizing them.
- Review travel claims/advances and ensure timely submission and processing of advances and legalizations.
- Analyze, reconcile, and follow-up staff personal accounts to ensure compliance with CIMMYT policies.
- Preparation of statutory returns and ensuring compliance with all statutory requirements.
Project Management Support
- Review project Budgetary information for planning and forecasting, monitor budget execution, and prepare monthly updates to the country coordinator.
- Follow up and monitor payments to project partners and proper financial reporting from them, assisting as necessary in preparing their returns and reviewing their expenditure supporting documentation.
- Supporting in preparation of and attending project team meetings while providing backup on project financial matters
- Budget tracking and regular verification of reported Country expenses
- Prepare and submit to HQ monthly bank reconciliations and other internal control requirements as dictated by CIMMYT HQ and/or supervisor.
- Support procurement efforts in compliance with procurement policy and with guidance from the Country Office Coordinator and procurement function at HQ.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting or related qualification and familiarity with Non-for-profit environment and Funder/Donor regulatory environment and processes.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in accounting, and financial management for the development sector/donor-funded projects.
- Experience in computerized accounting and knowledge of Quick Books and related accounting packages.
- The candidate should hold a valid membership certificate from any of the professional accounting bodies or similar bodies.
- Customer orientation and focus on process efficiency and efficacy are indispensable.
- High level of confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office especially MS Word and MS Excel
- Good time management and team management skills
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Organization, Critical thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation, Problem-Solving decision-making, Negotiation, and Conflict resolution.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to SD23142_Finance Coordinator.
For more information on the recruitment process please, contact Didier Gonzalez (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.