Director Resource Mobilization (G-22-81)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Lima Lima Peru
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic Director of Resource Mobilization to increase the capacity and success of CIP’s resource mobilization with government entities, multilateral and bilateral organizations, and philanthropic and private donors and investors. This position represents a unique opportunity to contribute to improving food systems and the livelihoods of smallholder farmers, their food security and their ability to withstand the increasing impact of global climate change on their lives through innovation and research for development.
CIP, a member of the One CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. One CGIAR science is dedicated to transforming food, land and water systems in a climate crisis, and it is carried out by 13 CGIAR Centers/Alliances in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector.
CIP works with partners in over 20 countries to improve diets and incomes of poor people in Africa, Asia and Latin America through scientific research, innovation, and capacity strengthening. Focusing on potato and sweetpotato as food systems entry point, CIP’s programs seek to strengthen broader agri-food systems to generate economic, social and nutritional benefits for farmers, enterprises and consumers emphasizing the priorities of women and youth in particular. CIP emphasizes the synergies between social and bio-physical sciences as a core strategy for making breakthroughs in our understanding of complex development challenges in food and agriculture and for our ability to overcome these. Within this pluralistic strategy, qualitative social science has a central, and increasing place for explaining human and institutional behavior and assessing benefits and risks for human development.
The position: The position will report to the Director General at CIP and possibly also to a One CGIAR Resource Mobilization Global function, and will be based at CIPs headquarters in Lima, Peru.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising strategy development and implementation and donor relationship management:
- Develops a comprehensive strategy that builds and manages a portfolio of relationships with prospective donors and investors, including major donors, corporate and private foundations, and new corporate partnerships in coordination with CIP’s programmatic and operational Senior Management
- Ensures close relationships with private and public sectors and new partnerships with innovative financing mechanisms to position CIP as a key partner and as a member of the One CGIAR
- Works with CIP Programmatic Leadership to identify and establish funding targets in support of annual program country and regional needs.
- In coordination with the Communications Department, develops communication strategies and PR efforts to increase CIP’s visibility among traditional donors, stakeholders, private sector, foundations and investors
- Coordinates input to key organizational documents as they relate to developing and strengthening partnerships with existing and new donors, with a specific focus on non-traditional donors
- Updates or develops and roll out Resource Mobilization standard operating procedures (SOPs) with specific guidelines on how all stages of the business development cycle will be planned for and executed against, including the assignment roles and responsibilities for CIP staff across other departments (e.g., programs team, finance team, communications, etc.)
- Leads the RM team in the following processes:
- Monitors funding trends, donor award cycles and grant opportunities to track the release of assistance and procurement opportunities, develop a strong pipeline of priority donors, analyze funding announcements for potential fit with CIP’s strategy and recommend specific funding opportunities to pursue;
- Supports timely scoping and intelligence gathering efforts to ensure CIP is well positioned and has secured the right partnerships for priority bids in the pipeline;
- Leads on facilitating inclusive and collaborative program design and strategy sessions for proposals that effectively bring together technical, operations, finance and leadership teams;
- Drives proposal development, owning and coordinating the process—develop a proposal development plan and timeline, put together a proposal team, gather inputs from technical/program leads, work with finance teams on budget development, create supplementary materials, and contribute to proposal writing and reviews
- Monitors and reports on key performance indicators and quality standards identifying and addressing areas of improvement
- Manages proposal development, constructing the proposal teams for critical/strategic proposals with Regional and Program Leaders, including developing quality standards and tracking CIP’s performance in new business development, and identify and address areas of improvement
- Coordinates the internal reviews of draft proposal documents to ensure compliance with solicitation instructions and technical approach, verify logical flow and clarity, and recommend revisions and edits
Market Intelligence and Strategic planning
- Manages the effective gathering of strategic market intelligence on governments and donors’ policies as related to financial support for CIP (as part of the One CGIAR) in a proactive manner. Conducts in-depth analysis on trends, emerging opportunities and gaps, and provides sound advice to organizational leadership accordingly
- Based on market analysis, leads CIP’s development and implementation of the resource mobilization 3-year strategic plan while also developing and updating the annual business and workplans including new direction and approaches to grow CIP’s funding, reach and overall portfolio while contributing more efficiently to the One CGIAR research and innovation strategy
- Contributes and engages with the One CGIAR Community of Practice discussions on Resource Mobilization strategy development
- Works with CIP’s Senior Management to develop and update Resource Mobilization plans as part of the three-year rolling of Program and Division Business plans, taking donor and global trends into consideration
- Monitors the progress of the Resource Mobilization business development strategy to guarantee achievement of institutional goals and contribution to One CGIAR priorities
- Manages staff in the Resource Mobilization Unit and coordinates Resource Mobilization activities as a responsibility across the organization
- Ensures the effective management and coordination of the Resource Mobilization team, which includes advising, guiding, mentoring, motivating and developing staff
- Provides quality assurance to and coordinates the substantive work of the team, such as drafting outputs, work plans and budgets and monitoring the effective performance and use of resources
Who are we looking for?
- Proven experience and successful track record in resource mobilization and innovative funding models, marketing and communications (different models and approaches including campaigns, grassroots efforts, etc.)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working with international non-profit organizations.
- Track record in developing Private Public Partnerships is highly desirable
- Minimum of 5 years serving in a senior management/leadership role.
- Extensive experience in proposal (both solicited and non-solicited) and program design
- Fund and grant management
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English
- Advanced knowledge of Spanish, French or other languages is desirable
- Strong and effective proven leadership
- Building and maintaining partnerships and relationships
- Selecting, coaching and appraising staff
- Influencing and resolving differences across boundaries
- Planning and managing staff and assets to achieve outstanding qualitative results
- Creating and environment for leading & knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Able to thrive in ambiguous, fast evolving landscape
- A passionate, energetic, and results-oriented Resource Mobilization Leader
- Commitment to working in a multi-partner and multi-cultural environments
- Master’s degree in an associated field (International Development, Business Management, Political Science, etc.)
What are we offering?
- Exciting career growth opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Please submit your full Curriculum Vitae with your references (3 recently supervisors) and Cover Letter to: email@example.com. Please, include “CIP – Director, Resource Mobilization” in the email subject line. Applications should be received no later than 12 August 2022. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will NOT work or have contact with children and/or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.