Director Programs and Impact
WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research and innovation institution that creates, advances, and translates aquatic food systems science into scalable solutions. We vision an inclusive world of healthy, well-nourished people and a sustainable blue planet, now and in the future. Our mission is to end hunger and advance progress on the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals through science and innovation to transform food, land, and water systems with aquatic foods for healthier people and the planet.
For over 45-years, WorldFish’s data, evidence, and insights have shaped practices, policies and investments to end hunger and advance sustainable development in low- and middle-income countries. We have a global presence in 12 countries across Asia, Africa, and the Pacific, with 460 staff of 30 nationalities deployed where the most significant sustainable development challenges can be addressed through holistic aquatic food systems solutions. Embedded in local, national, and international partnerships, our work sets agendas, builds capacities, and supports decision-making for climate action, food and nutrition security, sustainable fisheries and aquaculture, blue economy, OneHealth, and AgriTech, integrating gender, youth, and social inclusion.
A core element of the 2030 WorldFish Research and Innovation Strategy: Aquatic Foods for Healthy People and Planet is focused on building the resilience of aquatic food systems to shocks, which is critical to COVID-19 response and recovery.
WorldFish is part of CGIAR, the world’s largest agricultural research and innovation network. For more information, please visit https://www.worldfishcenter.org/
Reporting to the Director General, the Director – Programs and Impact is a member of the WorldFish’s senior management team who contributes to the WorldFish’s overall mission and vision as set out in the 2030 Research and Innovation Strategy.
The post holder is responsible for critical external facing functions which include: leading regional and national level engagements and strategic partnerships with an array of stakeholders, designing strategy for WorldFish portfolio growth through client engagement and innovative business development, and overseeing portfolio management activities, and steering communications & advocacy. Working closely with the directors of science, the post holder is responsible for alignment of our science for impact activities and outputs with WorldFish’s three strategic impact areas, namely:
- Climate Resilience and Environmental Sustainability;
- Social and Economic Inclusion; and
- Nutrition and Public Health.
Working closely with the Director General, the post holder will grow WorldFish’s business development strategy and lead the organization’s approach in developing new business, including setting value propositions to meet clients’ demands, demonstrating return on investment, and driving through ambitious revenue targets.
Additionally, the post holder will lead WorldFish’s engagement and partnership strategy and steer the organization’s regional and country teams to ensure maintenance of WorldFish’s freedom-to-operate in-country, revenue generation and overall regional oversight. The position will foster collaboration at the country and regional levels with other CGIAR entities, national institutions, research institutes, the private sector, and development and civil society partners. The position holder will need to interact regularly and effectively with the CGIAR leaders responsible for the implementation of the new One CGIAR operating model.
- 10+ years of experience at executive or senior management level.
- Experience in ‘science for development’ strategy development and execution.
- Track record of business development.
- Experience managing multidisciplinary team.
- 10+ years (or extensive) experience in high-value, complex, and multi-country (or global) program management and delivery.
- Extensive experience in using scientific evidence to influence national, regional and global policy processes.
- Proven ability to integrate, inspire and develop multidisciplinary teams and manage talent, with the strong commitment to promote diversity, knowledge sharing and staff development.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal Integrity.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, assuming leadership as required.
- Strong project management skills.
- Understanding of impact pathways and research design/ conduct in ways that contribute to development outcomes and impacts.
- Resource mobilization.
- Team building.
- Degree or equivalent qualification preferably in management, particularly in the area of Political science, Social Science, Business Administration, Business Management, Finance, Leadership management.
- An MBA or another higher degree would be an advantage.
How to Apply
To learn more about this opportunity, kindly CLICK HERE latest by 3 October 2022.